Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

60mm vs 105mm macro

Started by seansrs968 ·

  • 34Posts
  • 34Replies

Read-only discussion

60mm vs 105mm macro

34 posts
  1. The problem is that you would loose even more working distance adding a diopter on a 60mm.

    I was generally preffering the 60mm on a DX. The 105mm was more of a special case for me.

    If you want to use diopters. Then the 100/105 is the way to go

     

    /Erik

  2. So just stick to the 60mm with no diopter?

  3. Diopter on 60mm is no point in doing.

    I had the 60, but returned it for a 105. As i found out it wasnt what i wanted for the very smal stuff.

     

    Sendt fra Samsung Galaxy S2, via Tapatalk forum app.

     

     

  4. A diopter can be useful on a 60 mm with an APC sensor camera.

     

    60mm with 1.4 kenko TC and +5 Aquatica diopter.

    post-4755-0-81918300-1365301471_thumb.jpg

    Edited by johnspierce
  5. I think the answer is now crystal clear - take both 60 and 105

  6. I think the answer is now crystal clear - take both 60 and 105

    That is the way to go :evilgrin2:

    Get some wetdiopters and TC:s and you are set!

    Then you have shifted the problem from packing for the trip to the Dive boat

    Edited by E_viking
  7. Heartily concurr with observations on 60 mm and 105mm

     

    I use both, but because I love shooting skitty fish up close i.e. blennies, gobies, and hawkfish...105mm is my weapon of choice...... all the time

    I have the 60mm too....use it more on night dives...or of the viz is particularly bad.

     

    Do not use either lenses with TC's or dioptres....yet ;-)............but would def,. consider the Subsee rig in the future....

     

    Happy shooting!

     

    :-)

  8. I am a 105 guy. I don't take the 60 anymore. However, I dive in good vis. I always have a subsee +5 and +10 available.

  9. I've been playing with a Subsea +10 on my AF-D 60 micro and found it almost impossible to get focus or decent light. If there's even slight surge, forget it. The lens has to nearly touch the subject. I've been thinking about trying it with a 1.4 tele, which will work with the 10-17 as well. Haven't got a single keeper so far. +5 might be easier.

  10. I shoot the +10 and +5 on a 105. My process:

     

    1-Camera set to focus priority. (The camera will not take a shot unless it is in focus)

    2-Camera in continuous focus mode, no delay setting

    3-Strobes next to and parallel with the port.

    4-Have buddy shine a light on the subject (If Pigmy shine from behind. The pigmy will turn away from the light toward the camera)

    5-Get closer than minimum focus then slowly back out until the camera gets focus and takes shot

     

    In surge it still rately works and, yes, the +5 is a lot easier

    post-1589-0-01411800-1365525187_thumb.jpg

  11. beautiful shot!

    Would a +10 work in combination with a 180mm macro (this has a minimal working distance of about 50cm.)

    Best regards,

    --Rob

  12. I shoot the +10 and +5 on a 105. My process:

     

    1-Camera set to focus priority. (The camera will not take a shot unless it is in focus)

    2-Camera in continuous focus mode, no delay setting

    3-Strobes next to and parallel with the port.

    4-Have buddy shine a light on the subject (If Pigmy shine from behind. The pigmy will turn away from the light toward the camera)

    5-Get closer than minimum focus then slowly back out until the camera gets focus and takes shot

     

    In surge it still rately works and, yes, the +5 is a lot easier

     

    Good ideas. I just got the +10 and I am looking forward to playing around with it.

    I really like the pic!

  13. Man this is getting so complicated. So I might buy a 100 for the trip. Should I even bother packing my WA for Anilao?

  14. Beatrice has good wide angle with soft corals, but usually shoot macro in Anilao.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.