Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon announces the D7100

Started by Rocha ·

  • 69Posts
  • 69Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon announces the D7100

69 posts
  1. Would I not be right in thinking that it probably has the same sensor array as the D800 but in a smaller space, ie 24MP DX instead of 36MP FX?

    Edited by John Bantin
  2. I think the sensor is a generation on from the D800. The D800 and D7000 are pretty much indistinguishable as DX sensors - of course for the D800 that is just a small part of the FX sensor.

     

    This is a new sensor, with more, but smaller pixels. I look forward to seeing if it can deliver on the resolution promises or not.

     

    Alex

  3. The sensors are very different not only in size but also in the pixels density

    FX 36MP 36000000 / 861 = 41811 pixel/mm2

    DX 24MP 24000000 / 365 = 65753 pixel/mm2

  4. Alex,

     

    Thanks for your analysis of the D300 vs. D7100. I do shoot macro in the tropics and i don't print larger than 13 x19, usually no bigger than 11 x 14.

     

    Tom

  5. Still not sure I have a feel for where folks are going with the D7100. D7100 or wait for a possible D400? Alex....do I read you correctly in that side by side the D7100 did well in the AF area?

     

    Pam

  6. It will be interesting to see if the Sensor in the D7100 represents a step in Sensor Technology or just a tweak of it.

  7. Yes, the D7100 AF is very impressive. From a 5 minute back to back with the D800 with the same lens, I'd say it was just as fast and accurate. And has much better frame coverage.

     

    Alex....do I read you correctly in that side by side the D7100 did well in the AF area?

  8. Seems to have a good Sensor as well. However no gigantic Sensor technology step, as expected.

    I assume that the Sensor Technology has entered the mature state!

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.