Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New Housing "Airlock" Vacuum from Backscatter

Started by Steve Williams ·

  • 196Posts
  • 196Replies

Read-only discussion

New Housing "Airlock" Vacuum from Backscatter

196 posts
  1. Check out the new vacuum system. Looks like it comes with bulkhead adapters for most major housing brands: Aquatica, Sea & Sea, Subal, Seacam, Nauticam and Hugyfot

     

    http://www.backscatter.com/sku/bs-alm.lasso

     

    First to get one has to write up the review.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Edited by Steve Williams
  2. Looks nice, but I find it a bit surprising that it has no electronic check inside.

  3. I wonder if it would fir my SeaTool

  4. Looks nice, but I find it a bit surprising that it has no electronic check inside.

    There will be an electronic version to follow. It will be called the AirLock Electronic.

     

    Kirk

     

    I wonder if it would fir my SeaTool

    On their site, http://www.backscatter.com/sku/bs-alm.lasso , it does not list it, but there is a box for other. I would call them at 831-645-1082

     

    Kirk

  5. I've been waiting for this for several months. Ever since having a minor flood thus past summer. Luckily, I didn't loose any equipment. However, U'm going to wait on the electronic version.

     

    Kirk

  6. I'm going to find out if this version can convert to the electronic version at a later time.

    I'd love to have one for an upcoming trip!

  7. I got something similar on my first Hugyfot housing for D700 and haven't looked back since. Twice I've had a red light half an hour or so after I assembled my latest Hugyfot housing with my D800 and that means twice I've been spared the cost of buying a new camera. (That leaves me about £6000 ahead.)

     

    People say they don't need it because they have such good housings. It's not to check the housing, it's to check the user - and we all make mistakes at some time.

     

    Once depressurized, you can unfasten the clamshell but it won't come apart. The same goes for the port. Magic!

    Edited by John Bantin
  8. I'm going to find out if this version can convert to the electronic version at a later time.

    I'd love to have one for an upcoming trip!

    I spoke with Backscatter at our world underwater and they said no that it could not be converted.

     

    Kirk

  9. What is the benefit to an electronic version?

  10. What is the benefit to an electronic version?

    The electronic version would also give you an indicator light that would blink a cetain color if the pressure was in a certain range and would change colors when it fell out of that range, indicating that you have a leak. The benefit of such system would be that you would always know the status of your seals. Whereas with the manual system, you pump it up and then rehook the gauge at a specific time (i.e. 30 minutes or later) and see if you have lost any pressure.

     

    Kirk

  11. Gates housing vacuum check system uses the same valve. Gates uses a battery powered pump. This system has been around for a long time for high end video housings. I have my own version for DSLR for over 8 years on request from customers. Not one had serious problems. No electronic is a plus. The pump with the gauge is all you need. It is only partial vacuum like -0.5 bars which simulates about 5m depth. User could either leave vacuum in or purge it. Very unusual to have a sudden o-ring seal failure when the housing is under equal hydrostatic pressure from the water column. Unless user decide to whack the port on a rock. I had over 8 years and more than 60 people with these vacuum valves for both DLSR or video housings. I know they work. Keep it simple. Electronic only adds more stress. The seal is checked on land and if seal is not working then the gauge will drop. Sort out the o-rings and then check again. O-ring either fail or working. They don't just decide to fail halfway. Anyway Backscatter version looks simple enough. Its the way to go for peace of mind.

     

    Cheers


    David

  12. This comment sums it up: "Simply stable negative pressure. If it's air tight, its water tight. And it will save your camera in the rinse tank.

    And my Subal V3 port can't fall off!"

     

    I might still have a Subal housing today if the dome port had not fallen off - twice!

     

    I went with Hugyfot for the Hugycheck. Hugycheck continues to monitor the pressure at all times. With 64GB (2x32GB) cards in my D800, that green light winks comfortingly for a whole camera battery charge over several days and its own battery goes on for more than a week.

     

    You only need to flood an expensive rig once to bear the scars forever. I am much more relaxed now while away on diving trips!

    Edited by John Bantin
  13. @ CheungyDiver: I agree with you that the manual pump is the better choice/version.

    I would however like the electronics in the Housing that senses the Pressure and feeds it to the LED.

     

    @KirkD: Did they say why it would not be possible to update to the Electronic version later?

    I can not see any technical reasons for it. Unless, they will include the Electronics into the Valve.

    I assume that they would have to change the valve then, in order to get sufficient room.

  14. I bought a similar system at UWcamerastuff.com called Housing Sentry. They offer both the electronic and non electronic version. In theirs, you could buy the electronic upgrade of you wanted it later.

     

    I just purchased the basic system without the electronics. This is a common system used by divers in Asia. It just isn't that popular in the Western Hemisphere but it seems to be catching on.

     

    I agree with David. What I do is create the vacuum about 30 mins before the dive. Then I come back and check the vacuum again just before I'm about to take the camera in the water. If you still have a vacuum it's good. You aren't going to suddenly lose pressure on a dive. Most of us also have a leak alarm if you are really worried about it. I think the electronics is just extra expense that complicates the system.

  15. @ CheungyDiver: I agree with you that the manual pump is the better choice/version.

    I would however like the electronics in the Housing that senses the Pressure and feeds it to the LED.

     

    @KirkD: Did they say why it would not be possible to update to the Electronic version later?

    I can not see any technical reasons for it. Unless, they will include the Electronics into the Valve.

    I assume that they would have to change the valve then, in order to get sufficient room.

    They told me that the electronics would be built into the valve, however, the battery will be located inside the housing. I have not seen the unit though. Now bear in mind, it does everything the manual version does, but offers continuos feedback. So, if the battery dirs during the trip, you just go to the manual way.

     

    Kirk

  16. The backscatter non electronic vaccum system is $399 and the Housing Sentry system from UWcamerastuff is $699 including the $450 electronic part. Does anyone know what the non electronic housing Sentry be when your not using the $450 electronic section? maybe close to the $250 mark??????/

     

    What would be the difference bewteen the two non electronic systems besides the price????

     

    Regards Mark

  17. The backscatter non electronic vaccum system is $399 and the Housing Sentry system from UWcamerastuff is $699 including the $450 electronic part. Does anyone know what the non electronic housing Sentry be when your not using the $450 electronic section? maybe close to the $250 mark??????/

     

    What would be the difference bewteen the two non electronic systems besides the price????

     

    Regards Mark

    Looks like about $290. Here's a link to the price list.

    http://uwcamerastuff.com/housing_sentry_price.htm

     

    Kirk

  18. My only issue with this is that I have to give up on a strobe bulkhead. Would be nice if someone made one that did double duty.

  19. Kirk is correct. You can just buy the individual pieces from the Ala Carte Parts which is what I did. The owner of UWCamerastuff is Bill Libecap and he's very easy to work with. He can answer any questions for you. In fact, I bought my housing originally from Backscatter and wanted a vacuum system. At the time, they hadn't heard of one and so I hooked them up with Bill.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.