Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon 60mm vs Nikon 105mmvr

Started by JJ4DIVER ·

  • 21Posts
  • 21Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon 60mm vs Nikon 105mmvr

21 posts
  1. If you could only choose one of these lenses for a dive trip...which one would you take and why?

     

    Thanks!

  2. This is a perennial subject, do a quick forum search and you will find a cart load of threads comparing the two lens.

     

    Briefly I'd take the 60mm as it is more versatile.

     

    It will also depend on where you're trip is too and what you have on your wish list to shoot. EG if you where going to a tropical

    location with relatively clean water and say where hoping to get some shots of Mandarinfish then I'd go for the 105mm and dive

    according to that lens. Which ever choice you make there will be a compromise, but the 60mm will offer wider options (pardon pun).

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  3. I agree with Jim.

     

    But I mainly use the Kenko 1.4X Teleconverter with my 60mm which give me even more versatility.

     

    Regards Mark

  4. It depends on format as well.

     

    My vote would be

    DX => 60mm

    FX=> 105mm

     

    /Erik

  5. Erik's absolutely right. The 60mm isn't tight enough for an FX sensor, but it's just right for a DX: even if you would have to get that bit closer for 1:1 reproduction, the smaller sensor makes it less necessary. On an FX sensor the 105mm is almost ideal: under some circumstances, you can even take the image of schooling fish!

     

    post-4522-0-61735400-1362932059_thumb.jpg

  6. Thanks for the info Guys...appreciate it!

  7. take both... tell the wife she doesn't need all that shampoo... they have it in the hotel room, hide them in the kids rucksacks they don't need toys they are going on holiday!!.. anything... but take both. i did a trip to Egypt and i only took my 60mm as i agree with jim it is a very versatile lens but the super macro photogrpaher in me kept wanting to get more magnification and i find it hard with the 60mm as it is too close. and i find that with the teleconvertor my AF does not work smoothly.. :)

  8. Ok, I agree that for Super macro work a 105mm would be better.

  9. Hi. I'm a total novice and have never used a 60, so could be way off the mark here, but when I was researching which macro lens to get I saw a suggestion to look at photos taken with the different lenses. I had quite a strong preference for the photos taken with the 105 (DX). I also read that it was harder to use than a 60 but decided to get one anyway.

     

    It definately is tricky to use but now that I am getting the hang of it, the photos I am taking are (in a novice kind of way) like I imagined (close up shots of small fish with really blurred backgrounds).

     

    I've definately seen a few potential subjects and thought it would be good to have less magnification but I'm sure that works both ways.

  10. I focused on the 105. It took some getting proficient but now I never use the 60mm unless the vis is bad. (I usually dive in relatively clear water.) I then purchased a +10 Sub See (old style) and that took a long while to even get competent (not proficient). I traded up to a +5, +10 Sub See combination and found the +5 pretty easy to use but the +10 is stil a work-in-progress. I tried a Sigma150mm. It focused way too slow. (Anyone want one cheap?) I tried a Kento 2:1 T/C but the autofocus was poor. (Anyone want one cheap?)

     

    So the 105 is still my workhouse. Going to little cayman the puddle jumper costs a buck a pound so I am taking one lens -- the 105mm.

     

    Still trying to get more than 1:1. Maybe an extension tube or a Nikon T/c next

     

    Tom

     

    Fyi: I shoot a D-300

  11. I want to say only one thing

    Nikon 60 Micro have a amazing AF speed, which 105 don't have.

    This skill means that is possible to catch fast moving subject and maintaining it in focus.

    I realized that trying to shot a close image of a little fresh water jellyfish (7-10mm length) in open water. Super fast 60 micro AF make it possible.

    23_PTC_0131.jpg

     

    Yes of course 60 on DX is the best, on FX is not enough long. I'm waiting for a 105 micro with the same 60 AF speed !

    by

  12. So then is the 60mm AF- D lens or the newer 60mm AF-S lens the better choice??

  13. AF-S is a no brainer unless you have a budget issue. MUCH faster AF.

  14. Not my experience that the 105 is slow AF.

  15. Yes,

    I'm referring to Nikon 60/2.8 AF-S. Sorry!

    The 60 AF-S is an internal focusing lens and it has a very fast auto focusing skill, more faster than the 105 AF-s VR.

     

    Obviously 60 is too short focal on FX format :aggressive:

     

    by

  16. Yes,

    I'm referring to Nikon 60/2.8 AF-S. Sorry!

    The 60 AF-S is an internal focusing lens and it has a very fast auto focusing skill, more faster than the 105 AF-s VR.

     

    Obviously 60 is too short focal on FX format :aggressive:

     

    by

    Is the 105 AF-s VR an internal focusing lens?

  17. Yes, it is.

  18. Another thing to think about with the 60mm Nikkor Macro is that the AFD version can be used with a TC like the Kenko pro 300 1.4x, its cheaper, and its only a fraction slower in AF than the AFS 60mm.

     

    Regards Mark

  19. Depends where the dive trip is, what the viz will be and the types of marine life at that time of year, whether or not you'll get a focus gear with it.

     

    The 60mm is easier to use- but the 105 will get you shots of better scale with flighty pelagic fish or gobbies and blennies. Ambient light shots the 60mm is great http://www.flickr.com/photos/71049198@N08/7206299498/in/photostream

     

     

     

    If your shooting tiny stuff(105mm, possibly a 5 or 10+diopter) or fish portraits(60mm and the TC)- both have a time and a place, really you need both, if you did 1 dive and noticed lots of nudi's, you'd change lenses to the 105mm for the next dive......... but as a first lens and only lens, I'd go with the 60mm- it's cheaper if you wet it :(

     

    I bought one Vg condition 2nd hand on ebay for $222.50, a 105mm EXC for $390 both the D type and got the xit404 zoom knob focus gear, as I found selecting a focus point blows the shot timing and makes lots of rubbish bin shots.

     

    - so many factors to think about.

     

    here look at these- it has a few 35mm shots that aren't as sharp as the 60mm or 105mm

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/71049198@N08/

  20. The 60mm is easier to use- but the 105 will get you shots of better scale with flighty pelagic fish or gobbies and blennies. Ambient light shots the 60mm is great http://www.flickr.com/photos/71049198@N08/7206299498/in/photostream

     

     

    Do gobbies make a lot of angry noises underwater? Or is that a joke that only a Brit would follow?

     

    post-4522-0-99926400-1367955677_thumb.jpg

     

    A gobby (mouthy) shark...

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.