Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

care of the external surface of my (Nauticam) NA-EM5

Started by decimal86 ·

  • 36Posts
  • 36Replies

Read-only discussion

care of the external surface of my (Nauticam) NA-EM5

36 posts
  1. hi folks

     

    I notice that there are stain marks on the external surface of my NA-EM5. this is despite my rigorous effort in blowing off the water beads after rinsing. then wiping with a cloth.

     

    how do I keep the metal surface clean of stains? thks

     

     

  2. Maybe a little vinegar or rubbing alcohol?

  3. A drop of Oil for sewing machines or guns.

    Edited by deepadrenalin
  4. I use a few drops of silicon oil which is sold as 'seal saver' and rub it in with my fingers.

    Edited by Udo van Dongen
  5. My D700 housing (matte black Hugyfot) came up like new before selling it, by applying a tiny amount of olive oil with a cloth.

  6. I appreciate the replies folks, will try the oil treatment, was going to use the car wax but I guess I don't need water to roll off the casing right? just the dome? hahahaaa

  7. You may give a try using hydrophobe nanotechnology coatings like rain-x,

    that should last longer and don't create a film or create e extremely thin film.

    Be very careful during the application of anything as the o-rings may don't like way, oils and especially nanotechnology liquids.

     

    I personally swing/shape the drops away/out of the button holes and then dry it with a fluffy towel and let it dry in the shadow.

    If there should be water stains i consider them as a sign of hard work making the housing more attractive like

    denim blue jeans (looking horrible when new and not stone washed)

     

    You may use distilled water for the final rinse, this will help to avoid water stains and also dissolving salt and mineral deposits.

     

    Chris

    Edited by ChrigelKarrer
  8. As a general comment, I have always thought that black wasn't a sensible colour for housings. I have a mixture of black and silver housings, and the black ones often get worryingly hot when out in the sun on dive boats (who wants to go diving in the rain?!). And I always try and keep all my housings in the shade - but it is not as if shade is a stationary thing on a moving, rocking dive boat.

     

    Maybe I'll do some tests this summer, I am diving with a friend who has an identical housing to mine, but his is black and mine is silver.

     

    Black also tends to show signs of grime more quickly than other colours.

     

    Alex

  9. I was always wondering why housings are generally black.

    Most probably to not spoke marine life what is probably true (even if Seacam or Subal proves the opposite).
    Black housings are silly for the reason Alex mentioned and i agree completely with him, especially for fogging issues.
    I have my camera always in a hard cooler or plastic box, wrapped in a thick towel and often the lid to avoid that someone store gear above my rig.

    A black housing will also dry much quicker, thus leaving water stains on it.

    Chris

  10. I was always wondering why housings are generally black.

    Most probably to not spoke marine life what is probably true (even if Seacam or Subal proves the opposite).

    Black housings are silly for the reason Alex mentioned and i agree completely with him, especially for fogging issues.

    I have my camera always in a hard cooler or plastic box, wrapped in a thick towel and often the lid to avoid that someone store gear above my rig.

    A black housing will also dry much quicker, thus leaving water stains on it.

    Chris

    You are absolutely right. That's why it's stupid to have black cars. I've got two. Nice looking aren't they? Don't get me started on drysuits!

  11. Surgical spirit and some wax based furniture polish do the trick!

  12. Perhaps somebody from industry for Subal, Nauticam, Seacam or Aquatica can comment on how to remove the hard water stains from their housings and ports.

     

    Thx,

    Elmer

  13. Though not mentioned in the 'industry' list above, I'm gonna give it a go anyway ... ;o)

    No matter how stained it may be, a good rub with plain and simple 'Ballistol' oil restores the deep pitch black color on black anodised aluminium.

    Ballistol is often referred to as weapon oil, though there are over a 1000 uses according to the Ballistol website (one of them is even the treatment of pet fur).

    Every stained Hugyfot housing that is serviced gets this 'Ballistol' treatment and leaves the factory looking brand new.

     

    http://www.ballistoluk.co.uk/

     

    Regards,

    Pascal

    Edited by pascal_eeckhoudt
  14. I agree with John and Alex on housing color, largely because of the heat issue. A nice light-color camo design would be my first choice, or if that is impractical a dull grey/silver would be okay.

     

    Sorry for the hijack...I agree with a light oil to clean it up. Olive oil seems like a good choice.

  15. Though not mentioned in the 'industry' list above, I'm gonna give it a go anyway ... ;o)

     

    No matter how stained it may be, a good rub with plain and simple 'Ballistol' oil restores the deep pitch black color on black anodised aluminium.

    Ballistol is often referred to as weapon oil, though there are over a 1000 uses according to the Ballistol website (one of them is even the treatment of pet fur).

    Every stained Hugyfot housing that is serviced gets this 'Ballistol' treatment and leaves the factory looking brand new.

     

    http://www.ballistoluk.co.uk/

     

    Regards,

    Pascal

     

    Does Ballistol work better than all other oils?

    Are there similar oils as well?

     

    /Erik

  16. Having just tried it, I can vouch for the efficacy of the Seal Saver spray. It's sold by Aquaseal as a Silicone Spray. My Aquatica A5dmk3 housing came back from Anilao looking like it had a case of mange. Now it looks new.

     

    :notworthy:

     

    Stu

  17.  

    Does Ballistol work better than all other oils?

    Are there similar oils as well?

     

    /Erik

     

    As Ballistol does the job extremely well and as it comes in a convenient spray-can, I haven't tried anything else.

  18. Hot water and a little shampoo do the trick for me. Just take it in the shower with you!

     

    Personally, I don't want my housing covered in oil.

  19. I 100% agree with Howard,

    after the dive i take a shower with my baby (assuming a big enough shower), shake it after and then rub it with a towel and she is happy.
    Are housings male or female??

     

    I also don't want slippery things (oil, wax, nanocoatings, etc) on it!

     

    Chris

     

    P.S. I am more worried of build-up's inside/around the buttons and dials than some water stains on the outside except the ports!

  20. Although it could result in funny situations (especially with my female colleagues) the shower solution is not an option for us here at the factory …

     

    Despite the name (oil) Ballistol is not greasy, sticky, or slippery at all when applied in the right amount and when rubbed in well.

     

    As the ‘stains’ are merely particles that are nested in the pores of the aluminum, Ballistol will fill up these pores thus keeping ‘particles’ out longer.

     

    The effect of Ballistol will last by far longer than a plain shampoo wash. Compare it with washing your car or waxing it.

     

    I guess the gender of a housing is still undecided as it is mostly referred to as 'it'.

    Although many of my male customers threat 'it' as if 'it' were a 'she' ... ;o)

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.