As NEX shooters will know all too well, there is a lack of lens options for the system. Up until recently, there has only been one dedicated wide angle option (16mm + FE) and one Macro option (30mm). It’s also possible to use the 18-55mm kit lens with external (wet) diopter for a closer perspective. Any other macro options? How about the Nikonos 80mm with extension tubes?
I’ve recently completed two dives with my NEX 7 and the Nikonos 80mm. To improve focus distance, I attach two extension tubes
.
My quick impressions:
- Its super macro on the NEX! For NEX users, ‘nuff said.
- It’s fun! It’s a real challenge to shoot. I’ve had a lot of with this lens. I feel is a high risk, high reward type set up.
- Its best suited to calm conditions where you have plenty of time to shoot. i.e. Blue Heron Bridge. Several shots were on a recent night dive with a bit of current. My % keepers were much lower.
- A magnifying viewfinder is a necessity. Since you have to judge focus yourself.
- With extension tubes, the only way to focus is to rock in and out. With this lens, and underwater in general, I have not found the focus peaking on the NEX to work very well, even with focus lights. Maybe I’m doing it wrong….
- It’s heavy. Having the system more neutral would help the handling a lot.
- Even at f16, DoF is razor thin.
- The resolution isn’t great. I think this has always been the issue with the 80mm, but the 24mpx on the NEX 7 doesn’t help it along. There is plenty of detail, just don’t crop down or pixel peep.
First, the set up
NO, NO. Look THIS way. Flounder eyes.
Moving objects are difficult but not impossible. Both could be better, but for my level, not bad considering the limitations of the set up.
Sometimes, even stationary subjects can be difficult. Hey, I meant to focus on the pinchers and not the eyes. I swear!
When it works… Guitar fish eye, Corals, Worm, Blenny.