Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

NEX Macro Option?

Started by jmauricio ·

  • 49Posts
  • 49Replies

Read-only discussion

NEX Macro Option?

49 posts
  1. The worst of all options for trying to get more magnification because you have a very limited range of focus. Keep in mind that when you extend the length of the lens with the extension tube you also need to extend the length of the port to fit the extension tube. Because the focus will be so close and so limited you will need for the lens to come very close to the port glass, so for each extension tube length you will need an extension to match that length.

     

    This is the reason people use macro lenses, they focus through the entire range from 1:1 to infinity and your native choices for Sony E mount are still slim. Sony 30mm macro and Ziess 50mm macro with a wide cost difference. You would do better with the 30mm than with the 50 F/1.8 and the tubes.

  2. Thanks for the reply. Was just curious. I have the 30mm. Will continue holding out for whatever FE macro option is rumored for year end

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. Would FE lenses work on a NEX? I thought not, but stand to be corrected.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. Interesting, I didn't realise. Does the same 1.5 factor apply to focal length?

  5. yes, just like nikon ff lens on aps c. same crop factor. i.e the 35 2.8 would be 52.5mm and 55mm would be 82.5mm

     

    So if Sony does indeed come out with a 100ish-mm macro for FE, as rumors suggest, then it would be similar to shooting a Nikon 105mm on a D7000.

    The NEX series would then have 30, 50 and 100mm macro options and the FE line would just have 100mm. (or the others in crop mode).

  6. there have been loads. 90-100mm seems to be the consensus. I'd be happy with either at the moment.

  7. Will continue holding out for whatever FE macro option is rumored for year end

     

    FE 90mm F2.8 OSS Macro G (135mm) was announced today!

     

    FE Lenses as of today:

     

    16-35mm F4 OSS Zeiss (24-53mm)

    24-70mm F4 OSS Zeiss (36-105mm)

    24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS (42-360mm)

    28mm F2 (42mm)

    28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS (42-105mm)

    28-135mm F4 OSS Power Zoom G (42-203mm)

    35mm F1.4 Zeiss (53mm)

    35mm F2 Zeiss Loxia (53mm)

    35mm F2.8 Zeiss (53mm)

    50mm F2 Zeiss Loxia (75mm)

    55mm F1.8 Zeiss (83mm)

    70-200mm F4 OSS G (105-300mm)

    90mm F2.8 OSS Macro G (135mm)

     

    16mm Fisheye Converter for 28mm F2

    21mm Wide Converter for 28mm F2

    Edited by A.Y.
  8. So how would the 90mm FE macro go on a NEX7, equivalent to 135? OSS good?

  9. Yes, but it says I think March 2015 and we know how that went with the Zeiss. So maybe Christmas 2016 for real.

    Bill

  10. also lets hope there nex ports avail too along with fe.

  11. I'm glad that the FE 90mm macro is a Sony G so autofocus and OSS should be silent - good for video, and of course no Zeiss Touit delay.

     

    Photos of the 16-35mm F4 OSS Zeiss and the 90mm F2.8 OSS Macro G.

    Edited by A.Y.
  12. the 90mm is a big lens

  13. I have 30mm macro lens and I would say it is not the best one for macro, because very short focusing distance. For corals or stones it is ok, but for living creatures not so nice,

     

    My colleagues get nice results with 50mm lens and additional wet macro lenses. The same 1:1 factor is possible to get at longer distance.

     

    I just saw that the extension tubes will increase the focusing distance and some Nex users are satisfied with this solution.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umz91Bit6Ho

    so I am just interested if this will work underwater, and maybe the combination of extension tubes and wet lenses will offer the magnification like 2:1

     

    I know that Canon 100mm f2,8L macro lens with metabones can be better solution, but I am trying to work with what I have, without increasing the price of my setup by factor 2x :)

  14. There is picture taken with 30mm, short working distance.

     

    sony_macro-1.jpg

     

    This one is taken with 50mm + 2x Inon UCL330

    sony_macro1-1.jpg

  15. I have one time mistakenly took 50 f1.8 as the 30 macro and used it with Subsee 10+

    The results were stunning

    9184644256_65c031ea9a_b.jpg


    Macro lens options for e mount cameras include

    30mm macro

    50mm f2.8 Touit

    Sony 90 mm f2.8 G


    Forgot to mention, I also have

    1. add on dry close up lenses with 49mm, 67mm and 77 mm threads

    2. Kenko close up extension tubes for Nex

    3 A number of wet close up lenses

  16. Mark, did You try (and if not yet, then maybe You can :) ) combination of Kenko tubes and wet lenses with the 50mm lens?

  17. TomekP...not yet....will do it tomorrow

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.