Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam NEX 5 or 6

Started by CP1962 ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam NEX 5 or 6

7 posts
  1. I am thinking about going from DSLR to the NEX series from Sony and Nauticam. Info from users of both will much appreciated. Thanks J

     

     

  2. I have the NEX-5 and am very happy with it.

    Given that Sony are soon about to announce a FF NEX model I would wait until it is available to assess.

  3. I have used the NEX-7, NEX-5, 5N & R in Nauticam housings and would make the following observations. The NEX-6 has the EVF which to me is a great up side. The Nauticam housings for all of the cameras appear to be about the same price and the NEX-6 housing has the addition of the pickup finder for the EVF. You also have the advantage of adding a 45 or 180 optical viewfinder going forward.

    If you are coming from a DSLR you may prefer the EVF to using an LCD for critical focus.

     

    The big issue with NEX Remains the lack of a quality SONY macro lens for these cameras.

     

    Phil Rudin

  4. I have used the NEX-7, NEX-5, 5N & R in Nauticam housings and would make the following observations. The NEX-6 has the EVF which to me is a great up side. The Nauticam housings for all of the cameras appear to be about the same price and the NEX-6 housing has the addition of the pickup finder for the EVF. You also have the advantage of adding a 45 or 180 optical viewfinder going forward.

    If you are coming from a DSLR you may prefer the EVF to using an LCD for critical focus.

     

    The big issue with NEX Remains the lack of a quality SONY macro lens for these cameras.

     

    Phil Rudin

    Hello Phil,

    Could you send me a link so that I can see your results with NEX 5. I am looking to photos and I know that the NEX 5 and 6 are good cameras but quality of lenses is holding it back. Of course I am just taking photos as a hobby but quality is still important. When I use my Sigma 50 mm 2.8 macro lens I am happy with results but if I look to the photos from NEX lenses I am doubting.

     

    Thanks in advance :notworthy:

  5. Hi CP1962

     

    Here are some examples from my NEX-5N Setup:

    Sony NEX-5N in a to 5N converted Nauticam NA-NEX5 housing, Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro with Nauticam port 45, Inon D-2000 and S-2000. All shoot in RAW and processed with Adobe Lightroom 3


     

     

    2012-01-03_09h-40m-23s.jpg

    2012-01-05_15h-40m-56s.jpg

    2012-01-05_16h-06m-30s.jpg

    2012-01-06_11h-36m-09s.jpg

    2012-01-06_16h-19m-59s.jpg

    2012-01-10_15h-39m-52s.jpg

    2012-01-11_14h-37m-52s.jpg

     

     

    And here you find some more pictures:

     

    Gangga Island 2012

     

    fresh water pictures

     

     

    Greetings from Switzerland,

     

    Tino

  6.  

    Hello Tino,

     

    I see sometimes you posts on the German website UWPIX and as always nice to see your posts. The Nex 5 and 6 are looking good and as I told earlier I come from heavy DSRL with flash and ports and arms and I am looking for something smaller. But today I was looking to the Sony RX 100 mk2 and to tell the truth I was blown away from photos taken with this compact camera. So more choices and I am really impressed with the small Sony. Have a few months before my next trip so I have time to decide.

     

     

    If you look to Xander photos you see what I mean.

     

    The race with technology goes fast

     

    www.flickr.com/xanderwater

  7. for what its worth. Here are some uncropped samples from my nex 7.

     

    Some 16mm + FE examples

    http://jmauricio.smugmug.com/photos/i-Q8p532X/1/S/i-Q8p532X-S.jpg

     

    http://jmauricio.smugmug.com/photos/i-8tkVkKj/1/S/i-8tkVkKj-S.jpg

     

    http://jmauricio.smugmug.com/photos/i-3QTcpfv/1/S/i-3QTcpfv-S.jpg

     

     

    Some 30mm examples - issue with the 30mm is not so much image quality but the fact that you have to be right on top of subjects to get 1:1. It limits your macro subjects considerably

     

    http://jmauricio.smugmug.com/photos/i-d4Qg5Fh/0/S/i-d4Qg5Fh-S.jpg

     

    http://jmauricio.smugmug.com/photos/i-8m8pnRt/0/S/i-8m8pnRt-S.jpg

     

     

    Some 80mm examples

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50651

     

     

    Canon 60mm and Sony 10-18mm Examples. Also scroll down to see examples of the 18-55mm with an external diopter.

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49531&hl=%2Bmarsh+%2Bnex&do=findComment&comment=327683

     

     

     

     

     

    apologies for the poor watermarking!

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.