Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

diopter use with 105mm?

Started by team2jnd ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

diopter use with 105mm?

13 posts
  1. I have never used a diopter before. I have an aquatica housing for my 5d ii and am purchasing a 100mm macro. If I add a diopter, will I need to use an extension or change the port or anything? How exactly does it work? Any links or tips are very appreciated.

    Thank you,

    Jim

  2. Are you talking about an external diopter or one that screws onto the lens? Since you're using Aquatica and likely have their ports then Aquatica makes the Closeup kit that's matched to their macro ports and comes in a +5 or +10 power. With external ones, you don't need an extension, just a mounting system, an internal one may need a short extension depending on the power.

     

    Here's the link to the Aquatica ones. http://www.aquatica.ca/en/accessories_closeup.html and a link to the Subsee ones http://reefnet.ca/products/subsee/

     

    External ones are more flexible as you can remove them and basically have 3 magnifications underwater. A screw on type close up filter that mounts inside the housing pretty much limits you for the whole dive.

     

    You loose working distance with these lenses but gain a lot as both brands are multi-element and retain their magnification underwater, much more so than single elements ones.

     

    Cheers

     

    S.

  3. Thank you so much, I will look at the aquatica ones now.

  4. Looks like a great system. Any loss of image quality? From the reviews it looks like you don't but I'm wondering if anybody has used them here that can give a good review.

     

  5. That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you. You are very fortunate to work for aquatica, I love everything they make. I just wish they had a military or student discount ;)

  6. Hi,

    I use the both internal & external I find on both that depth of field is something you have to use to & it can take a little while to get the

    Hang of it. I would say that the external are more user friendly as has been said you can remove them under water, I think I got mine from dryron which push into the front of my SeaCam port. When I use my 12/24 wide angle Nikon I use a Lens diopter with a small

    Dome port which sharpens the edges a great deal.

    Regards,

    Andy

  7. I just used the +10 Subsee with a 100mm lens for the first time yesterday. What I discovered, at least on my Canon 7D is that auto-focus doesn't work once you put the +10 diopter on as it just hunts and will not focus. I found that I had to disconnect my auto-focus from my shutter (using back button focus and changing my shutter to trigger the meter only) and then move my camera back and forth until I found focus. I don't have a focus ring for my 100mm so this was my only option. I was surprised how well it worked.

     

    Here are a few shots using the configuration.

     

    9477273048_b561f6a6ff.jpg

     

    9474494957_3a63e485c3.jpg

     

    9474475961_1719d55ddf.jpg

     

    9477270104_852ec9dda4.jpg

     

  8. Great shots. Which adapter do you use? I love the design of the adapter that allows you to mount both the +5 and +10 at the same time but can't believe how much it costs. I guess I should stop being surprised by how much underwater photo gear costs... it's bad for my health.

  9.  

    I just used the +10 Subsee with a 100mm lens for the first time yesterday. What I discovered, at least on my Canon 7D is that auto-focus doesn't work once you put the +10 diopter on as it just hunts and will not focus. I found that I had to disconnect my auto-focus from my shutter (using back button focus and changing my shutter to trigger the meter only) and then move my camera back and forth until I found focus. I don't have a focus ring for my 100mm so this was my only option. I was surprised how well it worked.

     

    Here are a few shots using the configuration.

    Hi Andy,

    Could you not focus lock on something in the same range then move your camera in to take the shot, like in the red sea with Alex, when we were on the Thistlegorm? As with subsee with my 105 micro in does hunt a lot till I get the range, this is only a thought have a great trip in the Cayman with Alex & Jarret.

    Regards,

    Andy

     

    9477273048_b561f6a6ff.jpg

     

    9474494957_3a63e485c3.jpg

     

    9474475961_1719d55ddf.jpg

     

    9477270104_852ec9dda4.jpg

     

  10. Great shots. Which adapter do you use? I love the design of the adapter that allows you to mount both the +5 and +10 at the same time but can't believe how much it costs. I guess I should stop being surprised by how much underwater photo gear costs... it's bad for my health.

     

    I use the Nauticam Flip Diopter Holder which only holds one. It costs $260 retail and screws into the 67mm thread on the front of my port.

  11.  

    I just used the +10 Subsee with a 100mm lens for the first time yesterday. What I discovered, at least on my Canon 7D is that auto-focus doesn't work once you put the +10 diopter on as it just hunts and will not focus. I found that I had to disconnect my auto-focus from my shutter (using back button focus and changing my shutter to trigger the meter only) and then move my camera back and forth until I found focus. I don't have a focus ring for my 100mm so this was my only option. I was surprised how well it worked.

     

    Here are a few shots using the configuration.

    Hi Andy,

    Could you not focus lock on something in the same range then move your camera in to take the shot, like in the red sea with Alex, when we were on the Thistlegorm? As with subsee with my 105 micro in does hunt a lot till I get the range, this is only a thought have a great trip in the Cayman with Alex & Jarret.

    Regards,

    Andy

     

    Hi Andy,

     

    I actually tried the technique you described first where I moved my camera into position and could at least see the subject through the viewfinder but it wasn't quite in focus. When I went to fine tune focus with auto-focus it just completely lost it. I'll try it again at the end of this week when I expect we'll have a macro dive. You won't be surprised to learn that Jarret got a sunburn on his first day and slept all day :)

     

    Andy

  12. I was able to get auto-focus to work with my subsee +10. The trick was to use a focus light even though I thought there was plenty of ambient light but apparently not enough to get autofocus to work.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.