what port combination should i use with Nikon D800+Sigma 15mm? In the Subal website, the port combination says DP-100+exr15, but combo doens't work, Only with the DP100 also distorts the image in the corners.
What combination should i use then?
kind regards
thx in advance
Rui
I wouldn't use a mini dome with a any FX camera on a straight fisheye. It will work - but too compromised if you want the best quality - which is probably the point of buying a D800.
I find that a 6" dome is much better than a 4" dome - if you want a mini dome for FX. Unfortunately there are few on the market. I had to get mine custom made.
Alex
Thx for the reply Dr Alex,
i also use a 6'' Dome and i also have the distortion in the corners. the question is, in fx mode should only use a bigger dome then the dome of 6''?
in subal web site the information should not be correct?
other subal users with this combo what extension rings are using?
kind regards
Rui
I have a 100mm dome custom made for the 15mm Sigma lens, also the lens shade was shaved down somewhat. I am quite happy with it, I use it for almost 100% of my WA photos. I used it with my D700 in Subal housing and am now using it with the D800 in Subal housing.
A couple of examples:
I should add that I don't use any extension ring with the 100mm dome port.
Fletcher
I remember those lovely frogfish.
Wow! very nice Mr Flecther!!!!
i Have a 8'' dome and this solution is not perfet. The subal website gives another solution, wich is not suitable also.....
I know that i have to buy a bigger dome, but should not work right with a 8'' dome?
Hard to tell the difference. I bought a 8,5" Nauticam dome recently, will do some test shots with that too.
--Rob
Hi Rob, thank for your anwser
I begin to thinkthat there may bea misalignmentbetweenthe support of the camera inside the housing andthecameralens axis in relation to thedome...
because your photos, with the 6'' dome looks fine to me..
kind regards
6" dome is better. Can you post an example of the distortion you mentioned?
I have a 100mm dome custom made for the 15mm Sigma lens, also the lens shade was shaved down somewhat. I am quite happy with it, I use it for almost 100% of my WA photos. I used it with my D700 in Subal housing and am now using it with the D800 in Subal housing.
A couple of examples:
Hi Fletcher,
Where can you have a custom dome made? That must of cost a few cases of beer!
here is the image...
see the low right corner....
thx in advanced
I have used the Sigma 15mm on a Subal DP-100 (4 inch) on FX. No extension ring, but a shaved lens. But looking at the original file I still get some of the minidomes' sun shade into the frame (interestingly more on the left side than on the right):
and therefore I slightly crop the image:
So I guess I also have to shave a bit the sun shade of the minidome. The corner sharpness is probably less of a problem with a small apertures like f/16. On this image it was f/20 and is still not as sharp as in the middle of the frame when looking at 100%. But I guess that is the compromise for such a minidome; the advantage is obviously the closer focus distance (besides easier packing and travel) for CFWA. The distance from dome to fish was maybe 5 cm.
Juerg
Hi,
so my question is the same...
What isthe correct configurationoftheSubalportsfornikonD800orD4withsigma15mm?
Hi,
so my question is the same...
What isthe correct configurationoftheSubalportsfornikonD800orD4withsigma15mm?
This has already be mentioned (by fletcher and by me):
If you want to use the Sigma with a minidome (like the 4 inch DP-100 from Subal which is the same like the one from ZEN) you must shave the lens shades and use it without an extension ring. Without shaving the lens shades it will physical not fit into the small dome (the lens shades will come physically into conflict with the inner side of the glass). With a 15mm extension ring as Subal indicates on its website (and did the same also to me when I specifically asked) it would fit into said dome; but this combo probably would not work at all since then the angle of view would be even more "cropped" than in my case (any extension ring puts the glass of the dome further in front and thus the 180 degree field of view of the lens will be more covered). There is plenty of information on shaving the Sigma lens in the net, make a google search!
If you use the Sigma with a large dome ports like Subal's DP-FE it will work without an extension ring as well. This is for "regular" 180 degrees fisheye usage and less for CFWA (because the glass of the large dome ports puts the captured objects futher away than the possible closest focus distance of the lens). Subal indicates this as well: DP-FE no extension ring!
hope this makes it clear now.
I should add that I don't use any extension ring with the 100mm dome port.
Fletcher
Fletcher:
I guess your custom made minidome does not have a sun shade on the outside of the dome port and thus the 180 degree angle of view of the lens is not restricted. Is this correct?