I just returned from Lembeh Resort. I was there the week following the Wetpixel group, and (unfortunately) I heard that there were a number of camera floods. I am always interested in hearing about how other U/W photographers have had floods, in hopes of learning from other peoples mistakes. Initially I was tempted to post on the Wetpixel / Lembeh class thread to ask what happened, but I did not want to bring up bad memories on such a happy thread, AND why limit the discussion to just those few unlucky divers. SO...for those of us who have experienced the dreaded flood, please share the details of your tale of woe and any lessons learned. I will go first.
I have had 3 camera/lens destroying floods in the past 30 years.
1. Nikonos 3, greased the main o-ring, but did not replace it before the next dive. Lesson learned-being anal is a good thing when it comes to camera maintenance, but only if the "anality" continues through camera set-up.
2. Ikelite housed D70 with long macro port in the rinse tank of the Nekton Pilot while I was taking off my BC, the port bumped off in rinse tank when another camera was placed in the same tank - Lesson learned, my camera is never in a rinse tank unless it is being held or watched closely be me.
3. Ikelite housed D300 with a long macro port which was bumped partially off by a divemaster when placing my camera on the camera table in Palau. I did not notice and when I did my bubble test before the next dive..."BLUB"! Lessons learned...bubble checks are not as good as a vacuum test, Ikelite port retention is lacking when it comes to long macro ports, and don't assume your rig is in the same condition as it was the last time you took your eyes off of it.