I've wondered about the shark/flash thing too - so far in my limited experience they tend to take off when I strobe them, but I'm waiting for the day a big Tiger decides the flash is particularly interesting.
- 25Posts
- 25Replies
Read-only discussion
What do you all want to read?
-
-
I've seen sharks bite strobes many times. Something about the electrical signature and shiny white/silver finish, probably. Here's a photo of Jim Abernethy with an interested shark:

Doh. Off topic again. Sorry.

-
My ideas..
Eli,
Your magazine has definitely broken from the dive magazine mold with many of its articles. You have touched up on some exciting dives but most of all, you've brought to the public a different perspective on sharks. Although I'm sure it is seen as an extreme "crazy" sport by the norm, those who have had the opportunity to dive with sharks know that the dangerous risks aren't as great as many people (and media) work them up to be.
Having the opportunity to have met (and dived) with some of the writters of your articles, I know that you've got a group of highly experienced individuals who's combined knowledge on sharks from a behaviorial and ecological standpoint would be equivalent to tapping into nature's best kept secrets.
I am astonished how little information is published from those without a degree in science or 40 years with National Geographic, yet some of the more knowledgable ocean-going people I have ever met have had no more than a captains license and 30 years of service.
Based on this, I would love to see more articles written by such individuals where they might offer to your readers their perspective on interesting behaviorial patterns in sharks. These shark wranglers, as their called, obviously know a lot more about sharks than most people if they can survive day to day with these so-called dangerous creatures without becoming shark bait.
Just like I truly enjoy chatting with some of my fellow captain friends about the ocean, the weather, the tides and their observation on how it all comes together. I'd love to read an article or twenty on shark behavior, interesting observations and other facts from a nonscientific perspective.
Although you have already done so in many articles, I also would love to see you write more articles from a conservational point of view. Show the images of sharks being massacred for their fins or out of simple stupidity but, most importantly, show the public how they can help make a difference. Show how the work of some organizations is making at least a small dent in helping to preserve these beautiful creatures. Anthropomorphize the sharks if you have to in order to get people to love and understand these animals. God knows I've come to love and respect "Spot" a lot more after hearing Jim Abernethy's weekly adventures with him.
My 2 cents..
-
One more thing... Get the book stores to file the SharkDiver magazines with the fishing magazines. Maybe some shark fishing boneheads will pick it up by mistake and change their uneducated ways.
-
Eli -
Probably just as important as what to do is what not to do when dealing with sharks - I know Johnathan Byrd had a few stories at BTS about dicey situations. Basics are good but if its a running column - I agree that both underwater and behind the computer techniques should be covered...additiionally - I am a huge fan of photoshop - it enables me to take good shots that maybe have one or two minor imperfections and turn them into solid, usable shots - bottom line is that photoshop can't create a good shot out of a bad shot but can make a good shot just a little bit better...
be good!
- MP