Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Lembeh from a different perspective

Started by Scuba_SI ·

  • 21Posts
  • 21Replies

Read-only discussion

Lembeh from a different perspective

21 posts
  1. Here's one I have thrown together in the last week. It's been a long time since I edited so relearning the software. Friendly pointers and criticism welcomed.

     

  2. Holy smoke. You got some brilliant images there. Super clear. images from the Epic no doubt.

     

    You could probably make six different equally brilliant shorts of this.

     

    Cheers. Thanks for sharing. I will never look at Lembeh Strait the same again especially the wide stuff.

  3. I agree, that's an impressive video. I especially liked the last clip, that's a great way to end the video.

    Edited by SwiftFF5
  4. Upload to Youtube 4k. Let's see it with better resolution.

  5. Really Great Simon! The macro was especially awesome!

     

    Dustin

  6. Magical Simon, thanks! Made my day,

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  7. Thanks everyone.

    Just FYI, before someone cries foul - the last clip is a high frame rate slow-mo so the fish looks a bit dopey but I can assure you it was in perfect working order :) It was disturbed by us being there, but was not 'fed' to the critter per se.

     

    David - do you know where I can get a 4k monitor / TV in SE Asia?

  8. Impressive! Where was the first section section (canyons/walls) filmed? I don't remember seeing topography like that in Lembeh.

  9. Simon, just wait a few months for Dell Asia to clear stock and bring in the new UHD 28". The new 28" Dell is UHD and about $700. Don't buy the Seiko. Only 30hz via HDMI. The Lenovo ThinkVision should be out in a few months as well and around the same price.

  10. Isn't the Dell 28" also only 30hz?

  11. Opps yes it is. I was thinking of the 24" which is about $1200. Mind you, the cheap displays can't even hit 80% of Adobe 1998 gamut. You really get what you pay for. I say fork up for 60" UHDTV and use it for color correction. :)
    What are you using to edit with nowadays? I had to throw out my older Nvidia cards to go 4k. Also Mavericks only supports QHD up to 30hz and 4k up to 24hz, but a Mac can do 60hz via the display itself using MST in WIN8 (this is how I did it, dunno about the latest 10.9.2). No 60hz directly but in Windows 8, it's a bit easier (and faster!)

    Edited by Drew
  12. Wait for the 60 hz version. 30hz will not be good for fast action video or as a computer monitor. Depends on whether after NAB 2014 the adoption of HDMI 2 (two versions now) will be wide spread. 4K Tv with 60Hz will need to be around 60" to make it worthwhile and would make a great editing screen with the xtra real estate.

     

    The HDMI 1.4 version 4K (30hz) should drop in price too. It is however not future proof.

     

    cheers

  13. How about the Samsung F9000? 55" and on sale in Jakarta and seems to be a little 'future proof' with it's breakout box.. But about $6k. Do they have 4k computer monitors in Singapore? I can bring over to here fairly easily and probably would be a much better use of money.

    I'm editing on windows at the moment, about to upgrade my gfx cards.

  14. You might want to check out "TCL 4K" tv, they're cheap and is common in US, not sure about in Asia. Amazon carries it, and have some user review.

  15. Simon, I'm not a fan of the Samsung 3D. I prefer the look of the Sony XBR900. I was at a friend's place the other day and his Panasonic Viera WT600 65" was awesome with Battlefield 4, so much so I got motion sickness!

    However, for production use, especially color correction, using a UHDTV isn't optimal. I suggest you look at the Asus/Sharp/DELL 32" or the Dell 24" (which is pretty small but good bang for buck). I'm pretty sure all 3 of them are available in SG, especially the Dell on the sg site.

  16. Simon, I'm not a fan of the Samsung 3D. I prefer the look of the Sony XBR900. I was at a friend's place the other day and his Panasonic Viera WT600 65" was awesome with Battlefield 4, so much so I got motion sickness!

    However, for production use, especially color correction, using a UHDTV isn't optimal. I suggest you look at the Asus/Sharp/DELL 32" or the Dell 24" (which is pretty small but good bang for buck). I'm pretty sure all 3 of them are available in SG, especially the Dell on the sg site.

     

    why isn't a UHDTV optimal for CC? vs the ones you recommend?

  17. I'm planning on getting an Eizo for CC... was hoping to steal Mike's one but he cant find out where it is

     

    The part that makes my head hurt is connecting it to the computer at 60hz. A monitor with Displayport seems like a much better option. Or the samsung with it's potentially easy to upgrade HDMI setup. No games and no 3D for me. It would only be ued hooked up to my PC.

  18. I would suggest the Asus 31' PQ321Q. Pricy at 3.5K but with the PB287Q (28") announce pricing should adjust to the masses. I have been asking ASUS SE asia supply about these. No confirm availability yet but online order is a possibility.

    Definitely go for 60hz refresh rate. Get a good MB with multi-GPU w/crossfire X. Sooner rather than later MB will be optimised for 4k.

     

    Biggest disappointment is the Mac Pro bin computer. Limited to HDMI 1.4. May be Apple will surprise everyone and have thunderbolt 2 display at NAB in Vegas.

  19. I'm planning on getting an Eizo for CC... was hoping to steal Mike's one but he cant find out where it is

    How does one lose a monitor? :)

     

    Biggest disappointment is the Mac Pro bin computer. Limited to HDMI 1.4. May be Apple will surprise everyone and have thunderbolt 2 display at NAB in Vegas.

     

    Use the Displayport 1.2. Just set it up to MST.

     

     

    why isn't a UHDTV optimal for CC? vs the ones you recommend?

    Color accuracy. Color gamut of TVs are usually NTSC or PAL and they usually have a "look", like Sony's high knee whites. With online or production, one needs to work within sRGB at least.

  20. I won it with the BBC Wildlife.. but have never received it, I didn't lose it, someone else did :)

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.