Hi all,
I'm going to be snorkelling and hopefully diving on the Great Barrier Reef next year and had a question.
I am on a budget and considering these:
1. My EOS 600D with a cheap housing (example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50m-160ft-Waterproof-Underwater-Housing-Case-For-Canon-EOS-600D-Camera-/360619529436) - £200-£250.
2. An underwater compact that goes around 15m - £200-250
3. An underwater compact plus a housing to go deeper - £500
I'd prefer to go for the cheaper options but my problem is this:
- If I go deeper, I assume I need strobes for options 1 and 3 which adds another £200-300
- Will I miss a lot if I don't go deeper, or will I see plenty up to 15m? I just don't want to miss something based on the depth of photos I can take (for example if I went shark diving).
- At 10-15m with option 2, would I need a strobe or would the light be bright enough?
Also if you have any input on my compact choices, I am considering the Olympus TG-2 (maybe TG-3 depending on reviews), the Lumix FT5 (will there be an FT-6 soon?) and the Pentax WG-3.
I don't care about photos on land at all from the compacts so if anyone has experience with the 3 I'm looking for the best light, colour and sharpness underwater, allowing good photos as deep as possible.
Thanks for any enlightenment, I am a novice to this and would like to try it out and experience the best that I can on a budget.
Martyn