I use a flexi tray at this moment,but i find diving cold water here in the Netherlands and wearing thick gloves i need to push the whole system across to get my hand between handle and housing. Is anyone diving with a hand-strap set up. Is anyone supplying this or is it a DIY job.
I did see a photo a while back where Alex Mustard had a 3way ball-joint setup with what i think was a hand strap on the right hand side. Like to know if anyone else is doing this or something similar.
SD
Marko
Hi Marko,
what camera/housing do you have? I suppose the housing has the shutter release on the top and not on its side (otherwise there would be no need to get your hand between handle and housing)?
Maybe you want to read the last few entries of this thread:
For me it is a DIY project; I just ordered aluminium tray custom-made to my requirements. Will post a fw pics when everything is finished.
With the wrist support mentioned in the thread I had been diving for many years with my RS camera, both with and without gloves - absolutely no problem.
Jock
Hi Jock
Sorry forgot to mention that : Olympus OM-D Nauticam NAEM5 housing.
Just read the thread on A question about housing shutter release buttons.
The plate that Phil has attached to the handle looks interesting seems to adapt well to a hand strap.
SD
Marko
I also ended up with a tray made up from some 1/4" aluminium flat bar to get the handles close enough to the EM-5 housing. I am not a cold water diver and gloves are not an issue so I can access all the controls from the handles. I was so happy with it I got it anodized?
Marko,
the plate comes with the hand
strap if you buy it from Nauticam. Search for "Nauticam long hand strap for mirrorless housings".
Jock
Hi Jock
I'm looking into it at the moment. Let you know how it pans out
SD
MARKO
I used the wrist strap with the Nauticam E-M5 housing all of the time both with and without the tray and grips depending on what lens and strobe(s) I was shooting. I don't even own a wrist strap for the Nauticam E-M1 housing because I hold the grips while triggering the shutter/AFL, I was always holding the housing with the E-M5.
I have attached the Nauticam wrist strap options and a photo of one of the setups I use with the triple clamp for the 8mm fisheye lens.
I have also mounted the strobes directly to the grips and that also works allowing me to mount a float arm or two on top to off set weight.
Even with the tray your set-up still looks really compact. I just received the Nauticam wrist strap and a 3-way clamp. Going to configurate it all this weekend and see how it works out.
I will forward some photos of the set up soon
SD
Marko
I would suggest adding any flotation you can if you have it to help balance the system out.
Hi Phil,
What does the hand strap mount to on the EM5? There doesn't appear to be anything to mount it to at the top.
Hi Marco,
Get a can of "man up" and wear thinner gloves you big girl.!!!!!!
laters knobber
goose
Regarding the EM5, the strap mounts to the little silver rod at the base of the housing and the rest of the hardware comes with the strap kit.
The silver pin/rod at the base of the housing unscrews using the smallest hex key in the set that came with the housing. Took me a while to figure that out! The strap comes with a small bracket with two screws that go into the pre-drilled holes on top.
GOOSE
You big underwater guru. How's things going with you.
I'm in Zeeland getting some diving in will post some photos soon.
Phil ive been diving with the strap setup well balanced Nice control over the camera
SD
Marko
Hey Marko,
Lets get some pictures on here I am bustin to see your nudi shots dude.
goose
Goose i`m out in the sticks at the moment as soon as i touch base i´ll see what i can do. I will say the 60mm is the bomb its a tight lens super responsive even in the worst vis.2 weeks of diving out here i have`nt put on the 8mm thats saying something.
Thanks to you Big Buddy
Anyway see what i can post soon.
SD
Marko.
Hey Marco,
You Da Man glad to see your getting your 60mm rocks off.
How is the ergonomics of the housing going are you managing to get all your fingers on the right buttons.?
Goose
Goose
The ergonomics with the hand strap very easy to handle à really nice feel in the hand.
Funny enough i told you i had à problem with one of the dials. Had to send it back to Olympus, thing was without the battery inside the camera will reset back to factory settings. So the advantage was spending à day setting it up again. So now its sent up exactly as i would like it.
Into
Im not finding any problems with moving the arms or getting the 240s into position with à three way clamp set up.