Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon D810 in D800 housings: Compatibility check

Started by AlexDawson ·

  • 39Posts
  • 39Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon D810 in D800 housings: Compatibility check

39 posts
  1. Thanks for the update and glad to hear that the camera is working for you. Please let us know after you've shot it in some more different lighting conditions as to whether you notice a difference between the 810 and the E.

     

    Gracias!

  2. I will do that later this month with some wreck images from Croatia :)

  3. Thanks, I got my Sea&Sea D800 to D810 conversion kit a few days ago and will do the surgery during the weekend. There is a lot of parts... I hope I can make it :D

     

    // Alex

  4. Hi,

     

    does anybody know if a D810 will fit in a Seacam D800 Housing?

     

    Rob

  5. Thanks, I got my Sea&Sea D800 to D810 conversion kit a few days ago and will do the surgery during the weekend. There is a lot of parts... I hope I can make it :D

     

    // Alex

    Alex, where did you get the conversion kit?

  6. thanks Alex, is it an official sea and sea conversion kit, and how much does it cost?

     

    cheers

     

    Darragh

  7. I have no idea if it is Sea&Sea original but I think so. Price is around €400 I think. Email them and ask.

     

    // Alex

  8. thanks Alex, is it an official sea and sea conversion kit, and how much does it cost?

     

    cheers

     

    Darragh

    Yes it is a Sea&Sea update kit. I got half of the mounting instructions for the last week and got the rest yesterday and they came from Sea&Sea Japan.

     

    Kind regards // Alex

  9. The kit was easy to fit and after reading the instructions carefully and getting ll the necessary tools.

    The Nikon D810 works perfect will all it's functions.

    I have to say that once I started using D810 I will never choose to put my D800E back in the housing again :) It will serve as a top side and backup camera...

     

    Check out my D810 images from Gulen Dive resort Norway at my https://www.facebook.com/alexdawsonphoto

     

    kind regards // Alex

    Edited by AlexDawson
  10. Reef told me the Nauticam kit was discontinued.

     

    "The kit was discontinued due to all new features of the D810 not being accessible with the upgrade."

  11. "The kit was discontinued due to all new features of the D810 not being accessible with the upgrade."

     

     

    Interesting, there was no problem getting all functions on the Sea&Dea MDX-D800 housing. I understand that its bad business releasing a kit if they also release a new D810 housing :D

  12. Is anyone using the D810 in a Nauticam D800 housing? If so, how is the experience? Any frustrations? Did you have to make any modifications?

     

    I flooded my old D800 and am trying to decide if I should buy a D810 now or a used D800e body.

  13. The upgrade kit from Nauticam is still available to my knowledge but recommended fitting by an authorised dealer as it involves changing a number of key components and specialist tools make this job much easier.

  14. I had my Nauticam housing upgraded by Alex Tattersall at Nauticam UK to the D810 at back end of last year and am very happy with it.

     

    But still have the old problem that it is not the quality of camera in front of you that makes the great photographs, its the idiot behind it that needs to improve!

     

    All the best

     

    Gordon

  15. If Reef would upgrade mine I would do it, but it doesn't seem like they can... or don't want to? Not sure :)

  16. Hi Dreifish,

     

    From earlier in the topic:

     

     

    I am on the Wetpixel Whsle sharks trip and am using a D810 in Nauticam NA-D800 II housing.

    The camera fits (just) although it does contact with the top of the housing when removing it. All left hand controls work bar the flash pop up and the new bracketing button.

    The right hand side: Working: Shutter release. AF on. Meter mode selector. Rear command dial. Multi function selector, Info button. Mode selector, EV control.

    Not working: Front command dial (see below). Record. Live view, Live view selector. AF/AE lock.

    I have modified the housing by reversing the gear that access the main command dial, this is now functioning.

    First impressions of the camera are good...

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.