Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Tiger Beach Diver Missing

Started by loftus ·

  • 24Posts
  • 24Replies

Read-only discussion

Tiger Beach Diver Missing

24 posts
  1. Not good

    http://www.outsideonline.com/news-from-the-field/Shark-Diver-Goes-Missing-In-Bahamas.html

    As usual the media gets at least part of the story wrong - stating that Abernathy is controversial because of no cage shark diving - whereas all Bahamas operators do not use cages as far as I am aware. Unfortunately, I think night diving in these environments may not be the smartest thing despite having done it myself. My condolences to the diver's family.

    Edited by loftus
  2. John has been diving for years and years - and is a valuable HUPS member. The press is really making a dog's breakfast of the story :-/

    James

  3. I've moved this into the galley as it isn't strictly speaking a trip report.

     

    It is however a very sad story and our thoughts and prayers should go out to the victims friends and family.

     

    Adam

  4. By now many of you probably heard of this story on TV:

     

    http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outposts/post/search-continues-missing-shark-diver/

     

    This is what puzzle me:

     

    "Petty, who had recently obtained his mandatory advanced open-water certification, was last seen by other divers...... "

     

    He seems to be an accomplish diver (judging by some of his U/W photos that shown on TV), why he just obtained is AOW recently? Is it one of the situation that the dive operator doesn't care how many log you have, they have to see a cert card to allow diving? Also, what's happen to buddy system?

     

    I have to say, lately I have been to quite a few dives where the buddy system no longer enforce/practice, and these are underwater photo dive trips. I try to keep my buddy and other divers within visible distance, but I can't say the same for many of the divers I have came across.

  5. That article is infuriating. It jumps to a completely unsupported conclusion that he was attacked, and I'm pretty sure the statement that AUTHORITIES determined he was attacked by a shark is completely false (unless Grind TV is an authority). Here is a more accurate story: http://www.outsideonline.com/news-from-the-field/Shark-Diver-Goes-Missing-In-Bahamas.html

     

     

    For now, it’s hard to say what happened, but the most immediate possibility is that Petty got disoriented or accidentally swam into a swift current and was swept away before anybody noticed he was gone.

    “It was a night dive, so getting lost is an option, as is unintentionally swimming out to the Gulf Stream and being caught in the current,” says Andy Dehart, shark adviser for the Discovery Channel and longtime Tiger Beach diver. Dehart also thinks a medical emergency, such as a heart attack, is a possibility.

     

    Edited by mcliffy2
  6. Very sad. The press is having a field day jumping to wild unsupported (and unlikely) conclusions that he was attacked. Sigh.....

  7. The news say his gear that got found has visible bite mark:

     

    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/sharkwatch/texas-man-never-surfaced-after-bahamas-shark-dive-n158216

     

    Now, in these day of age, news site copy news from other sources etc. so we can speculate all day long.

     

    I'm NOT asking/speculate what actually happen to this diver. I'm questioning, why he just got his AOW cert? (that's if the report of his recently acquired AOW is true).

     

    Also, just to keep this forum/site informative and learning oriented, I would like to hear other people's experience of the buddy system. I'm still mad that I got ditch by my buddy in Red Sea when I drop my weight belt and shoot to the surface, while I bank the hell out of my tank to get attention, my buddy disappeared on me.

     

    I have been on many dive trips on my own and meet strangers on dive trip to get pair up to have the "dive buddy system". Is it common that when you pair up with stranger, you don't care about the buddy system or what's other's experience are like?

  8. Adam, I started another similar discussion in the "Crazy Dive Stories" section of the forum, feel free to merge as you see fit. My main question is about the buddy system and/or the industry acceptance of AOW requirement as a "I have your paper, you signed your life away, I'm done" kind of mentality etc.

  9. John E Petty is a member of Wetpixel:

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showuser=30982

     

    I do hope they find him alive somewhere, but it doesn't look good.

    Edited by Drew
  10. KC, some people have hundreds of dives on an OWD ticket. Some places require certain levels to ensure the diver has been "trained" to dive to a certain depth, but most likely if anything happens, PADI will help defend them if the diver qualifications are met.

  11. Thanks Drew. I suspect that's the case, but I'm not aware that dive shops in the Western country still demand to see the cert. When I was in Sipadan way back, they wouldn't let me go below 18m because I only have OWD. Fast forward to when I was doing my AOW, I tried to talk a few of my dive buddies into do it with me and they all say no one care as 50+ dives log would replace a AOW. I think that's a common mentality among many divers. But in this case it's a Shark dive so it make sense for the dive operator to enforce the certification requirement.

     

    Still, I would imagine the whole issue could have a different outcome should the buddy system was in place.

  12. I would imagine the whole issue could have a different outcome should the buddy system was in place.

     

    I suspect that most of us who dive at night with a camera know that it's all too easy for the buddy system to break down.

     

    My heart goes out to John's family and friends, and I can't imagine what the divers and crew of Shear Water have gone through.

  13. kc_moses - As a public safety diver, and someone who has both the TDI/SDI "Solo Diving" certification and the PADI "Self Reliant DIver" certification, I would suggest that if you have questions about the buddy sytem, perhaps you should think about getting additional training and redundant systems so that you don't have to rely on a buddy to save you. Ultimately, you are responsible for your own safety. That extends to making sure that your gear is instact and working properly and has been properly serviced, you have the skills to take care of yourself, and most importantly, you can stay calm in an emergency situation. There are some things that can't be controlled, and you may need help someday, but there is quite a lot that can be done to minimize those instances.

     

    Sorry for the diversion, but back to the topic at hand, like Tim, my heart goes out John's family, friends and the divers and crew that were there that night, and have to deal with all this. This is a sad situation, and it will be very informative to hear the final conclusions about the cause of death, if there ever is a determination.

  14. I find it quite surprising that there could be a chummed dive at night? Is this true?

    I have done tiger shark dives without cage years ago in south africa and there was a protocol to follow one of the suggestions was to be back to back to your buddy so no shark could really come from behind you I am not sure how you implement something like this at night where you can't see

    Was this just a normal night dive or was a shark baited night dive?

  15. From what I've read, the emergency call went out at 8pm, which was still daylight. So apparently it was a crepuscular dive, not a night dive.

  16. So that mention of a night dive earlier in this thread is incorrect. I would have been surprised if they were doing a night dive.

    It is sad news but I do hope the body gets found to clarify what happened otherwise it is just guess

  17. They found the mask and the camera gear. Not sure if we will ever find out what the last picture in the camera look like as it would answer the question about the environment, how many sharks were around etc. They didn't find the tank which is crucial to locate the body. The search has terminated so we will never know the answer.

     

    I do agree that we are responsible for our own safety, that's why I did the self-reliance cert as well to better improve my knowledge. I do computer programming for living, so I always assess the possibility of being in a situation that's unpredictable and accident could happen. Often time I feel it's disrespectful to ditch your buddy as it's agreed upon during pre-dive.

  18. Well said SwiftFF5. Better to be be self- reliant than not

    Thoughts go out to a lost soul.

    SD

    marko

  19. Since this is where I was pointed to express condolences, I will express to all family and friends of John that my prayers and thoughts are with them.

     

    (As a side note I would encourage the moderator to keep condolences and wishes separate from people seeking to comment on the circumstances of the event and the press's handling of the events) - not a good mix.....

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.