Just picked up a ikelite housing for the 5d2 and i had it out yesterday shooting and i was in multiple lighting situations and I was getting lens refelection in the 8' dome port when i would go underwater.
I emailed ikelite and well see what they recommend.
sounds like everyone is using gaffers tape/socks etc.. Im pretty unimpressed with this situation as I have a 200 dollar ewa marine ziplock bag that yields better photos than this 2500 dollar housing /setup? I would never trust my ziplock bag however and i know ill work out the kinks but just a little erg'd
thanks!!
C
im not using any filters or strobes curretly , FYI
I'm curious in what light, I've only had this when using a strobe that was aimed a bit through the housing and then it was still a faint reflection.
it seemed to be any light underwater. i emailed ikelite and he said dont shoot in the sun. I feel thats a real crappy response as they should be addressing this and offer neoprene sleeves or something at least to buy for your lens?
no strobes and no filters.
Can you post examples?
I had a similar issue with an acrylic lens port. The black gaffers tape worked perfectly. I only have this issue on my wide angle lens. Hope that helps
A friend of mine had a similar problem. At my urging, he posted here...
In summary, there were two things going on... At the heart of it though, was strobe positioning. If it/they are too far forward, it really exasperates the problem it seems. I little experimentation might help.
Personally, I hate the thoughts of sticking Gorilla Tape or anything else on a lens. The things are works of art and this just seems abusive.
what you can do, is to have the hood on the lens itself shaved off . this should stop it - even with my sea cam super dome I have a slight problem when shooting upwards
i used neoprene sleeves glued together from a old wetsuit on the neck of the port, this helped somehow. Gaffer tape or maybe better self vulcanizing tape as it is watertight/proof will do the trick also.