Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

RX100 + Meikon. Accessories? Lenses etc.

Started by sinetwo ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

RX100 + Meikon. Accessories? Lenses etc.

22 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    I'm new to UW photography, but bearing in mind upgrades for my hopefully future expensive hobby, I had a few questions regarding the Meikon housing:

    * Can you equip it with any lenses? I.e. Wide angle or macro?

    * What strobe and rig set up do you recommend for beginners?

     

    Thanks!

     

    I won't be purchasing any time soon but i'm keen on budgeting and saving money early on so I can pull the trigger if I need to :)

  2. Some of those cheap housing have an M67 thread so you can try and put an inon lens on it (best match for the RX100)

    Strobe wise get a strong one like an inon Z240, the strobe will last longer than the camera. Money lacking you can try a sea and sea YS-01 quite powerful for the cost but limited control

  3. Some of those cheap housing have an M67 thread so you can try and put an inon lens on it (best match for the RX100)

     

    Thanks for your help so far, you've helped me on several occasions now :) MVP(oster)!

     

    I haven't found any information on anyone using lenses on the Meikon housings, but I found this link and that suggests to me that it uses an M67 thread? Or is that just coincidental with the part number for the color filter?

     

    https://www.aditech-usa.com/en/shop/1771-meikon-mk-rx100ii-sony-rx100ii.html

     

    This link states (although it looks like non-spec sales blurb) that is uses a 67mm thread, to use with macro lenses. I presume that means you could use an M67 Inon lens, whether that's macro or wide?

     

    Thanks for your help so far, much appreciated.

  4. Fisheye UWL28M67 or IDivesite UWL04 are both fisheye lenses (wider but with barrel distortion) at a cheaper price than the INON wide angle. We have them at £370 each.

  5. I have the Meikon housing I use with the original RX100 (but the housing currently works for both mark 1 and mark 2 models since the rubber standoffs are a bit flexible). I use the M67 thread for an Inon H100 and a red filter on top of that... no dome. At night, I put a video light (RGBlue system 2) on the cold shoe. I have an Inon macro also, but rarely use it since I'm free diving and don't have the skills yet to steady myself and also have enough breath to play with the focus. Also, as Interceptor regularly points out, threaded lenses are a pain to swap mid-dive. I'd pay whatever extra it is for bayonet adapters if I did it again.

     

    From the few reviews I've seen, the Meikon housing is a bit hit-or-miss as to which if any of the controls will be easy to manipulate. Mine's quite good... I have some trouble with the mode dial, but the mode dial on my RX100 is also quite gummed up and difficult to move even without the housing. Other people have trouble with the focus ring around the lens which could be more of a problem.

     

    I also have an RX100m3 that I'm using for terrestrial use now. I'll probably go with the Meikon housing again.

  6. Some of those cheap housing have an M67 thread so you can try and put an inon lens on it (best match for the RX100)

    Strobe wise get a strong one like an inon Z240, the strobe will last longer than the camera. Money lacking you can try a sea and sea YS-01 quite powerful for the cost but limited control

    Hi Interceptor121,

     

    Did you ever try using a Subsee +5 or so with the RX100? As I'm relatively new to UW photography and only have a YS-D1, I think UWA with good results would be a bit of a stretch for now, so I'm keen on going the Diopter route.

     

    Thanks for your help so far.

  7. I have an inon UCL-100 would recommend something 10+ for stills on the RX100 if it is the only lens you want to buy. Other wise get a +3 and +6 that's the most useful combination

  8. I had a Meikon housing for my Canon G15. It did have a 67mm thread on the front, but it was not very good. It was very easy to cross thread a wet lens and only get one turn. Twice I lost a wet lens that was not securely attached. Once I found it, the second time I did not. So be careful. I suppose this advice applies to any wet lens attachment.

  9. I had a Meikon housing for my Canon G15. It did have a 67mm thread on the front, but it was not very good. It was very easy to cross thread a wet lens and only get one turn. Twice I lost a wet lens that was not securely attached. Once I found it, the second time I did not. So be careful. I suppose this advice applies to any wet lens attachment.

    Yep, i'll definitely attach a small safety clip or something underneath so it doesn't sink!

  10. I have an inon UCL-100 would recommend something 10+ for stills on the RX100 if it is the only lens you want to buy. Other wise get a +3 and +6 that's the most useful combination

     

    Thanks. Would you say then to use +3 and +6 separately, or in any combination (e.g. +6 or +3 or +3 and +6)? Not sure how it affects IQ? I've tried googling but haven't found anything concrete...

  11. Both. The rx100 is quite bad for fish portraits so the +3 sorts that out. +6 is good for nudibranchs but you need to stack for smaller stuff. You can correct fringing in post and it's only on the corners

  12. Thanks, I'll look into a few options and let you know what pics i come back with :)

  13. All,


    thanks for your help so far.


    I'm looking at getting a UWL-H100 28M67 for my Meikon housing, using an RX100ii. However, I'm confused over which type to choose. It comes in two flavours:

    Type 1

    Type 2.


    Any suggestions would be much welcome.


    Many thanks,

    sinetwo

  14. Type 2 will work fine.

  15. Type 2 will work fine.

    Mind if I ask what the difference is? I'm hoping with UWL - H100 28M67 there will be no vignetting at the widest zoom?

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.