Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Pygmy Seahorse - Panasonic GH4 4K

Started by escape ·

  • 21Posts
  • 21Replies

Read-only discussion

Pygmy Seahorse - Panasonic GH4 4K

21 posts
  1. https://vimeo.com/103312019

     

    4K on youtube:

    http://youtu.be/8tc8XEAUiHc

     

    A very short video of Pygmy Seahorse (Hippocampus bargibanti) from Anilao, Batangas, Philippines.
    Shot with a Panasonic GH4, Panasonic 7-14mm and Olympus 60mm lens in Nauticam housing, Aquako 4K lights and diopters.
    I was using Standard profile (-4,-3), crushed black a bit in post.
    Oly 60mm produce very sharp image but I'm not happy with working distance (too short) and "by wire" manual focus.
    P.S
    Try spot the seahorse on a seafan (WA shot). :)
  2. Looks very sharp and even too big in the frame not sure which close up lens you used

    Seems like you went with the 7-14 first to do the WA shot of the fan and then back with the 60mm to do the macro. Or did you have two cameras?

  3.  

    Try spot the seahorse on a seafan (WA shot). :)

     

     

    I saw twelve of them :crazy:

  4. Looks very sharp and even too big in the frame not sure which close up lens you used

    Seems like you went with the 7-14 first to do the WA shot of the fan and then back with the 60mm to do the macro. Or did you have two cameras?

     

    I went to same dive site with different setup.

    The diopter is Aquako 2.5x.

    http://ejlabs.net/?attachment_id=6187

  5. Wow that is not something I could afford to do on a regular basis but then I suppose you could shoot another fan lol. Maybe a less powerful diopter would be fine too and if you need some clear image zoom or whatever panasonic calls it loose bit of quality but keep working distance reasonable

  6. Wow that is not something I could afford to do on a regular basis but then I suppose you could shoot another fan lol. Maybe a less powerful diopter would be fine too and if you need some clear image zoom or whatever panasonic calls it loose bit of quality but keep working distance reasonable

     

    I have some footage with less powerful wet lens. I'll try to post GH4 highlight video (WA + Macro) when I'll be back from Indonesia.

    BTW, Ex Tele mode (in-camera zooming effect?) not working when 4K mode.

     

    I saw twelve of them :crazy:

     

    I could spot only 7. :notworthy:

  7.  

    I have some footage with less powerful wet lens. I'll try to post GH4 highlight video (WA + Macro) when I'll be back from Indonesia.

    BTW, Ex Tele mode (in-camera zooming effect?) not working when 4K mode.

    :

    Ah of course it would mean cropping the actual frame and scaling back

    Ok will look forward to your video

  8.  

    I have some footage with less powerful wet lens. I'll try to post GH4 highlight video (WA + Macro) when I'll be back from Indonesia.

    BTW, Ex Tele mode (in-camera zooming effect?) not working when 4K mode.

     

     

    Not to hijack this thread...

     

    I'm completely ignorant about macro shoot techniques... Diopters... wet lens....

    Could someone suggest me some useful resource on this topic? Tutorial, book, (for video I have those of EunJae :lol2: )

    I have a PanaLeica 45mm f2.8 but I never bought its port. My dive buddies would kill me even if I think to shoot macro, but some day maybe... :B):

     

    Byeeee

  9. Nice shot! While we're at the subject of Pygmy seahorse, how do you get it to face the camera with video light? During my encounter of pygmy seahorse, they always have their back facing me, turn to look at the camera once in a while, very shy so I can only take picture and not video.

  10. Remarkable...

  11. Superb. Well done!

  12. Wow, fantastic footage! I have been to that same spot many times (Kirby's Rock, about 26m, right?) and shot many stills of pygmys at that fan, but have to say that I can see the little bugger far better in your video that I can in person. Well done.

     

    I too would like to know why it doesn't keep its back turned when the light is on. I have to turn off my focus light to get them to look my way

  13. Thanks all for the comments.

    I usually don't bother to shoot bargibanti but I was surprised to see one just look at the camera.

  14. GH4-Macro-rig.jpg

     

    FYI, I was shooting with a smallhd dp4 external monitor and it's works well and syncing faster then my other Canon DSLRs.

  15. Nice. What does "by wire" mean?

  16. Nice. What does "by wire" mean?

     

    It means that there is not a direct mechanical connection between the focus control and whatever lens elements move to focus the image on the sensor. Instead the control tells the camera's internal controller and motors to move the lens elements.

     

    Nick did you pull the trigger on this camera yet?

     

    Bye

  17.  

     

    FYI, I was shooting with a smallhd dp4 external monitor and it's works well and syncing faster then my other Canon DSLRs.

     

    I see you have a little arm attached on your tray. Do you handle the entire rig with that for wide shots? Does it mean that the rig is neutral buoyancy?

  18.  

    I see you have a little arm attached on your tray. Do you handle the entire rig with that for wide shots? Does it mean that the rig is neutral buoyancy?

     

    Normally I don't use tripod/tray for wide shot except If I planning to shoot WA lock shot.

    I set mine negative without tripod for wide or macro so It's very negative with tripod & legs.

    I prefer neutral only when I'm shooting photo.

  19. Nice. What does "by wire" mean?

     

    It's completely different feel from mechanical manual focus lens (Canon 100mm and 60mm in my case).

    I think because the focus motor does not 100% follow my pulling speed.

  20. Nick did you pull the trigger on this camera yet?

     

    I did indeed, and I have 7 lenses for it already. Didn't order a housing yet, as I've been involved in other things. Watching others' experiences closely. Have only used it a little topside.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.