Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Thinking about acquiring a viewfinder

Started by Atom ·

  • 28Posts
  • 28Replies

Read-only discussion

Thinking about acquiring a viewfinder

28 posts
  1. atom I am also looking at getting either the inon straight or 45 degree viewfinder did you find that the 45 degree was hard to get use to and also how did you find the 45 blocking the lcd screen and being able to see your settings e.g.:-shutter speed aperture and so on?

     

    I got the Nauticam viewfinder so I can't comment about the Inon one, the Nauticam one block the LCD a bit if viewed "from above" but a slight tilt of the housing let me view it (it's not that big).

     

    Personally I found the 45 degree angle quite natural to use, although I just recently transitioned from compact to DSLR so maybe I hadn't got time to get used to having it point straight in front of me :)

  2.  

    I got the Nauticam viewfinder so I can't comment about the Inon one, the Nauticam one block the LCD a bit if viewed "from above" but a slight tilt of the housing let me view it (it's not that big).

     

    Personally I found the 45 degree angle quite natural to use, although I just recently transitioned from compact to DSLR so maybe I hadn't got time to get used to having it point straight in front of me :)

     

    Thanks for the info Atom and Cerianthus, most appreciated, have been agonising which to get 45 degree or the straight inon viewfinder ,I dive every second weekend so should be able to get use to the 45 degree but the straight would be better for wide angle at the moment i do about 40%Wide-60% Macro am doing some macro diving in manado indonesia in May am also going from a 7D to the 7D mk2 which will keep me busy getting up to speed with till the trip

     

    Edited by scuba-s
  3. Scuba-s, If you are shooting macro in Manado, I hope you get to go the Lembeh Strait, (less than a 2 hour trip).

  4. I am staying at bangka island about an hour by boat north of lembeh there is surpose to be a lot of macro diving at bangka and I will be doing a couple of day trips to lembeh as well, looking forward to it.

    Edited by scuba-s
  5. I have owned and shot both the Inon and the Nauticam 45 degree view finders. The Inon is smaller but so is the image. I now own the Nauticam and the larger image is really nice as the eyes get older. I don't really care for the external adjustment as it is my viewfinder and once it is adjusted for my eyes it should not need adjusted. I find that in transportation that sometimes the knob gets changed and I have to re-adjust it. I strongly recommend a 45 degree viewfinder and if you can swing it get the Nauticam one. Once purchased it can be moved to almost any housing with the proper adapter.

  6. thanks for the info blibecap,I would love to get the nauticam but don"t know if i can justify the cost $1500-$1600 with ikelite adaptor in australia,the inon is halve the price in comparison will have to think it over ,have been looking at the classifieds for the nauticam but they get snapped up fast(when a reasonably price that is) you are right about the eyes getting older thru:-(

    steve:-)

  7. I understand that it is twice the price and probably only about 30% better. I look at it as a investment that I will move from my last housing to my current housing to my next housing etc.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.