Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Wide angle with GH4 and 14-42mm PZ lens

Started by kc_moses ·

  • 32Posts
  • 32Replies

Read-only discussion

Wide angle with GH4 and 14-42mm PZ lens

32 posts
  1. If I understand correctly the options for the NA-LX100 are:

     

    1) Flat rectangular lens with option for special flip diopter

    2) Short dome port

    3) Long dome port with wide angle conversion lens inside

     

    I was thinking of going for option 3 but not if it is the one with the zoom limitation. Which one has crippled zoom?

     

    The NA-LX100 pictures on wetpixel from dema don't show pistol grips with balls to mount lights, but I trust that those are either included with the housing or ones that fit can be ordered.

     

    My last u/w video camera flooded so I'm definitely purchasing something soon. I look forward to the impending LX100 thread that kc_moses will start tomorrow night :-)

     

    PS: I have learned much from all of you - thanks.

    Edited by MrScuba
  2. The short port is flat and requires the inon wide angle lens. The dome port has got no lens it's just a dome to restore airfield of view. I have told the dome works in the 24-40mm range but this needs to be checked more

  3. MrScuba,

     

    If you go with the LX100, you will get your housing before your Bonaire trip. I ordered my NA-LX100 housing last week from Reef Photos and it's arriving today. It will be in my hand tomorrow as I have to stay at office to work today instead of stay home waiting for the UPS guy. It seems odd that Nauticam hasn't make any product profile announcement while the housing is already ready for shipping.

     

    Anyway, I ordered the 67mm flip lens holder but is not available yet so I won't be able to test it right away. With the 67mm flip lens holder, I will be able to change macro diopters during dive, and I will test and see if the Opteka is okay to use on top of the 67mm flip lens holder.

     

    The reason I chose LX100 over the GH4 is because I feel like 4K underwater is not that mature yet, and get very expensive very quickly. I anticipate GH4 will get outdated in next year or so because 60fps 4K should be out, or 6K in 2016. Spending $5000 (camera + body housing) for an equipment that will become outdated in 2 years seem not a good investment for me.

     

    The LX100 setup would be less than $2500, I can use it for 2 or 3 years until I get use to the 4K work flow, more powerful computer/laptop exist, and more choices open up (Sony?) then I might consider a more pro level upgrade next time.

     

    If you already have an existing set up that's less than 2 years old, then I don't really see getting a new system because of 4K.

     

    I'm keeping my GH4 camera for on land use, with the 14-140mm lens, I can shoot dolphin, islands etc. while I'm on the dive boat, and leave the LX100 in its housing. The GH4 touch screen make it a perfect land shooting camera.

     

    I will open up another discussion thread once I have my hand on the LX100 housing.

    Which port have you ordered?

  4. Mr. Scuba,

     

    Here are the options for NA-LX100:

    1) Flat rectangular lens with option for special flip diopter (this port is the standard that come with the housing, flip diopter holder cost US$220)

    2) Short flat port with 67mm thread

    3) Long dome port that would still let you zoom (don't know if it's 24-40mm or 24-75mm range)

     

    kkfok,

    I ordered the standard rectangle port. I haven't check pricing and availability of the other port. My next trip is to Anilao for Macro so the rectangle port is what I need for now. I might get the short flat port to use with the Opteka lens.

     

    Moses

    Edited by kc_moses
  5. Ryan Cannon posted on my blog that The dome focus range is 24-40mm. I don't know if he engaged the macro switch or not and definitely he didn't have diopters to potentially improve matters

  6. Underwater the Gopro doesn't have more than ~94° squeezed FOV, flat port issue:(. Actually I am looking for a cheaper alternative of the UFL-G140.

    4K video is consider a "premium" right now, except for the LX100. I prefer 4K over 1080p mainly because of the flexibility of cropping, down sampling to reduce noise, but not at $5000 price tag with GH4. I don't know what the FOV of the 8mm fisheye lens would be once it's behind the dome. I haven't encounter manta ray, whale shark or anything that size so I don't even know if the 8mm lens would be enough. But I'm quite happy with the Opteka .4x. for general size like turtle and shark.

     

    I recently just acquire the 72mm version Opteka .3x (http://opteka.com/OPTSCFE.aspx). It could work underwater and if that's the case, I should be able to get more wide field of view.

     

    Another option is use the goPro Hero4 as a supplement, so if you need really wide angle (more than 100degree), use the goPro instead. Since it will be close distance, there may not be the need of white balance as long as the ambient light is sufficient, or there is enough video light.

  7. Hmm... I didn't know the goPro only have 94 degree. I only have the original goPro, which has very wide angle even under water. I thought they maintain the FOV with the new version of goPro.

  8. On land it is 140° AFAIK, but the flat port kills it as well as the corner IQ. Actually doing more research I ended up buying the g140, unpacked it yesterday. At first look it appears to have an aspheric element, which is key for good IQ across the entire frame and which is missing from all "cheap" solutions (domes, simple air lenses such as the meikon wide wet lens). I'll come back with tests as soon as I receive the compatible dive housing and can lay my hands on some waterproof iso resolution charts.

  9. The G140 is a very expensive of port, you must be a very dedicated goPro user to invest in that kind of accessories. The 14-42mm PZ can accept wet wide angle lens and up to 110 degree. For the price of goPro and the G140, doesn't it make more sense to pay a bit more to get a 8mm lens instead and it's more future proof?

  10. 14-42 accepts inon UWL-H100 without dome 100 degrees and with dome not sure but probably 145. I am not interested in the dome for video but Peter rowland uses it

  11. It is certainly not cheap, together with the SD cage I payed the same as the camera cost. However, the hero4 black I have delivers much better video than my Oly E-PL5, that's why I went gopro for videos. The system cost is still quite cheaper than e.g an LX100. Later I might put 2 cams together for a 3D system - this is a mission impossible with the larger cameras because of the large interaxial.

     

     

    The G140 is a very expensive of port, you must be a very dedicated goPro user to invest in that kind of accessories. The 14-42mm PZ can accept wet wide angle lens and up to 110 degree. For the price of goPro and the G140, doesn't it make more sense to pay a bit more to get a 8mm lens instead and it's more future proof?

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.