Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

The Mystery of RAW (Discussion)

Started by echeng ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

The Mystery of RAW (Discussion)

23 posts
  1. Re: The Mystery of RAW (Discussion)

    Please tell me if I am totally wrong in my conclusions. :D

     

    Hi Eric,

     

    thanks very much for this article.

    I think that your conclusions are right but there is a nuance...

     

    Camera profile!

     

    I saw many times the effect of wrong profile applied to the image in RAW converter. That's why I decided to test my sunballs with new 1Ds hand-made profiles for C1 3.5.

     

    And I found the profiles from ETC are much better treat highlights area than profiles included with C1 (from PhaseOne) .

    And I decided to share my findings with you.

     

    Best regards,

    Dmitry

  2. Interesting. Thanks for sharing Dmitry.

     

    Are these custom curves or profiles? I am confused.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Are these custom curves or profiles?  I am confused.

     

    These are profiles. Camera profiles. They are used for convertion from RAW to destination color space.

    You can read more details concerning these profiles at ETC site. Here is a small quote:

     

    The Canon EOS 1DS C1 HiSat & LoSat replacement profiles are meant to be used together with Phase One AS image conversion programs; Capture One DSLR LE, SE or Pro. They are meant to be used instead of the supplied "daylight/flash and portrait" profiles. We do not not supply generic profile replacements like the C1 supplied "Tungsten" profile.

     

    They also do profiles for other cameras like Canon EOS D30, D60, 10D, 300D, 1D and 1Ds and 1DmkII and Nikon D1x and D100.

     

    Best regards,

    Dmitry

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.