Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam 180mm vs Zen 170mm Dome?

Started by thetrickster ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam 180mm vs Zen 170mm Dome?

9 posts
  1. I asked this a while ago on Scubaboard, and got an amazing response. Not...

    So I'm reposting here, maybe some of you might of tried them...


    I see Nauticam has now released a n85 to n120 adaptor for fitting the bigger DSLR ports on the Mirrorless port system.

    On the Port Chart, it lists the 180mm Glass Dome and the adaptor (36052) as compatible with the 7-14mm lens.


    Anyone got their hands on both the Zen 170mm and the 180mm and seen any differences to corner sharpness etc? What really interests me is the inclusion of the focus knob - and what confuses me is that this adaptor is 47mm deep!


    I really wish Nauticam would come out with a n85 30mm extension ring with a focus knob!!


    Maybe some of you have tried some of the even bigger Domes (200mm+) with the adaptor??

    Edited by thetrickster
  2. bump. This well aged question is what I try to answer for my GH5 setup.

     

    Any takers? Nauticam 180 or Zen 170, what would you choose as WA port solution for micro-four-thirds?

    Edited by bubffm
  3. http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59984

     

    You may want to read or reread this post which beat this topic to death.

     


     

     

    You may want to read or reread this post which beat this topic to death.

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  4. Thanks Phil, I re-read that thread - and its not mentioning the Nauticam 180 at all (well very little..) :) its mostly about the Zen domes. I lean towards the Zen 170 but just wanted to hear what people might think about the Naughty 180 in comparison. The lack of reference to the Nauticam may well mean that the Zen is the port-of-choice.

    Edited by bubffm
  5. Thanks for posting that thread Phil - some very interesting posts about the inefficiency of the Zen domes and the 7-14mm, especially with the GH5 now having no crop - the corner sharpness is now even more critical.

     

    I'm still none the wiser as to which one to go for (I sold my 170mm zen MKi)

  6.  

    I'm still none the wiser as to which one to go for (I sold my 170mm zen MKi)

    +1

     

    Richard, which one are you using instead if I may ask?

  7. +1

     

    Richard, which one are you using instead if I may ask?

     

    I'm using currently the 14-42mm (MKii) behind a flat port and the WWL-1, but haven't sold my 7-14mm or zoom gear.

  8. Interesting. I have excluded the WWL option for myself. Too front heavy... I got as day to day the Nauticam 6'' Acrylic with focus knob for the Pana 7-14 and 12-35 but like to invest in a glass dome - once I made up my mind :)

  9. Yeah I had to get the buoyancy collar for it (and hard cap), which makes it a bit of a handful, and for sure it doesn't sit in the water as well as a dome, but happy with the performance.

     

    I too have never been a fan of Acrylic domes - but does the job, I do have an eye on eBay if the 6" comes up cheap to have a play with :)

     

    Please post how you get on with the dome.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.