Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Flash settings with Olympus E-M1

Started by michaelgeyer ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Flash settings with Olympus E-M1

16 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    im using a Olympus E-M1 and the 2 flashes Inon D2000 & YS-D1.

     

    So now im playing with the settings to find out the best for me and sure, for the results.

     

    Till now i use the fill light flash mode but so the frame rate is very slow.

     

     

    Do you guys use the Olympus with TTL (Fill light mode) or in manually mode and 1/64 of power???

     

    When i use in camera the manually flash mode, the olympus have no Pr-Flash? Right? so i must use the magnet in my INON D2000?!

     

     

    Is it for the YS or INON flash pertinent whether the camera is in manually flash mode or fill light flash mode for TTL?

     

    Sorry for my confuse.... :)

  2. Yes, you should have the magnet in your D2000.

     

    The flash charge rate you're experiencing is long because on fill-flash you more or less have a full discharge when you press the shutter.

    I think the best setting is 64th - this is a very tiny flash requiring very little charge time - and less drain on the camera battery - but still strong enough to fire the strobes.

  3. Thank you!

     

    You never use the fill light mode?

  4. I have to say I'm using the EPL3 and not the EM1, but I think it's the same - ish.

     

    I dont use TTL (though I should) but fill-in flash would be the setting for TTL. Using the strobes in manual I turn the power of the camera flash right down in an attempt to save camera battery.

  5. Ok, so i hope some EM1 users say something about it.

  6. Hi Michael,

     

    maybe you want to have a look here. I did some tests with the magnet in/out and TTL/manual:

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51861

     

    Generally I think it is not a good idea to mix different strobe brands and try to use TTL; even with two identical Inon Z240 TTL is not reliable - at least in my setup with an E-M5. Maybe the E-M1 is better in that respect? (I doubt...)

     

    For wide angle TTL does not make sense, and for macro it is convenient (if it works!), but I shoot manual now. If exposure is a bit too bright or too dark, just use your RAW converter.

     

    Jock

     

    p.s. TTL="fill" in the camera and S-TTL on the strobe

  7. Ok, that what you are test is the same result what i get.....

     

    TTL works fine with my 2 different flashes (D2000 & YS-D1), but now i have the Problem when i will use my flash manually i must insert the magnet and then i cant use ttl....wtf.

     

    I think the best ist when i buy a secon YS-D1...here i can switch underwater.

     

    Normally i shot in TTL, with the option "fill" in the camera and S-TTL on strobe, but now i will test to take the pictures with higher frames rates.


    Ok, that what you are test is the same result what i get.....

     

    TTL works fine with my 2 different flashes (D2000 & YS-D1), but now i have the problem when i will use my flash manually i must insert the magnet and then i cant use ttl....wtf.

     

    I think the best ist when i buy a second YS-D1...here i can switch underwater.

     

    Normally i shot in TTL, with the option "fill" in the camera and S-TTL on strobe, but now i will test to take the pictures with higher frames rates.

  8. I have been taking my E-M1 underwater for the first time in the last week along with one of my YS-01s (the other was too heavy..)

    There is still much learning for me to do underwater, so I am slowly moving from automatic to more manual settings. (I always shot in P mode underwater with my E-PL1).

     

    I am switching between TTL (YS) with fill flash (E-M1) and manual flash power.

    Currently I have the camera mostly in in S-priority mode. The two dials now control Shutter speed (almost always set to 1/125) and the other dial to flash adjust, allowing me to quickly adjust the flash power.

     

    In the future I will slowly move towards using manual mode and the "flash adjust" button option of the "AF" button near the power switch when the dial mode is set to 2. Or maybe just learn the flash power better and go full manual.

     

    Just my 2 cents. I will probably be doing things wrong, but I prefer to learn in my own tempo.

  9. I am quite sure that in TTL mode, the S2000 will ignore the magnet, it is only looked at by the strobe when in manual mode, so you can do both. I do occasionally use my EM-1 (with the same two strobes) in fill mode if I am shooting something that is moving and I have only one shot to take it. That being said, the frame rate is really slow 1/64 works for most of what I shoot.

     

    Bill

  10. I am quite sure that in TTL mode, the S2000 will ignore the magnet, it is only looked at by the strobe when in manual mode, so you can do both. I do occasionally use my EM-1 (with the same two strobes) in fill mode if I am shooting something that is moving and I have only one shot to take it. That being said, the frame rate is really slow 1/64 works for most of what I shoot.

     

    Bill

     

    TTL mode in Camera or flash? When you mean flash ok, thats right.

  11. Hi all,

    I am also using a EM1 with two YS-D1 and would be interested in what kind of TTL you are using? The one where the blue LED is on (I think this is S-TTL?!) or with the red LED (DS-TTL II?)?

    I tried with the red LED but didnt get good results and switched back to blue. Maybe im doing something wrong.

     

    Simon

    Edited by simon87
  12. if the lights are blue you have switch the flash into the slave mode...its not another ttl mode :)

  13. Thanks for the fast reply. According to the manual you can hold the light button for 3 seconds in ttl mode and then the led switches from blue to red or vice versa. Do you know what that switching does?

     

    Thanks

    Simon

  14. Yes, the switch does exactly this what i wrote.... he set the flash into the slave mode...

     

    I can give you the german manual .... :)

  15. Now I got it :)

    Thanks for the answers.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.