Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Should i get a fisheye?

Started by Storker ·

  • 28Posts
  • 28Replies

Read-only discussion

Should i get a fisheye?

28 posts
  1. not much to add, except that i noticed fisheye much easier to use on m4/3 than on 3/2 cameras:

    When i was shooting Nikon DX, i was quite happy with the angle of view of my 10-24mm Nikon, and was finding the 10-17mm Tokina fisheye usually too wide.

    Now on m4/3 my 9-18mm often seems too narrow, whereas my pany 8mm fisheye does seem very OK, and with the Nauticam 3.5" mini-dome, the CFWA capabilities are just awesome!!! Not that i am an expect, but learning...

     

    And the pictures look always crispier.

     

    The 4/3 pictures being less "panoramic", composition with a fisheye gets easier i think.

  2. A fisheye underwater is a wonderful thing. Getting close enough, or being patient enough, for the right situation is the issue. If you're just after happy snaps - and my guess is that if you're on this site you're after something a bit better than that - than the 9-18mm will do. The Panasonic is priced right and compact. Focuses very closely, and is quite sharp all said. Not sure spending the extra money for the new Olympus is worth it, unless you have loads of discretionary income, in which case we can be new best friends.

  3. If you are going to shoot any video, you need a fisheye. The Panasonic 8mm works great for me.

  4. If you are going to shoot any video, you need a fisheye. The Panasonic 8mm works great for me.

    I have the Panasonic GX7 and I am planning to buy the 8mm fisheye

    However for video I prefer the 14-42 power zoom with macro port 35 and inon wet lens it works wonders and has full zoom through

    I never liked distorted images for video but may give it a go once I have the lens

  5. I have the Panasonic GX7 and I am planning to buy the 8mm fisheye

    However for video I prefer the 14-42 power zoom with macro port 35 and inon wet lens it works wonders and has full zoom through

    I never liked distorted images for video but may give it a go once I have the lens

     

    I call fisheye video the gopro effect. :-)

     

    But really you want an ultra wide (weitwinkel) angle for video as well - at least for wrecks and stuff - so its hard to get away without the 7-14 mm.

    Edited by EspenB
  6. The PZ with the wet lens is ~8.6mm Am not planning to invest in the 7-14mm for additional 10 degrees especially as the lens is not stabilised

  7. OK, I did :)

     

    No port yet, as my "discretionary account" wasn't fat enough for that right now.

     

    But now it was :D:crazy:

     

    Port came in the mail today. Dang, it's short compared to the 4" semidome! Hoping to get in the water coming weekend to test it out. I was out shooting a few pics last weekend, and the corner distortion I get from a rectilinear WA on CFWA-type shots is beginning to irritate me. I'm hoping I'll get better results with the FE, but I anticipate... a certain learning curve before I'm comfortable tackling the FE perspective :blush:

    The PZ with the wet lens is ~8.6mm Am not planning to invest in the 7-14mm for additional 10 degrees especially as the lens is not stabilised

     

    Olympus has stabilizing in the body. Just sayin' :)

    Edited by Storker
  8. Also panasonic but not for video. Video on the olympus is not good enough for my standards. Anyway i got myself the Panasonic 8mm. Next purchase will be Panasonic 7-14 and 6" port for still images but as I said very low priority

    Edited by Interceptor121
AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.