Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

What else do I need?

Started by ChrisBergermann ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

What else do I need?

14 posts
  1. Hi everybody, soon i will finally upgrade my underwater camera setup from compact to M4/3.

     

    more precisely I will have the OMD EM5 || and will pack all this in the Nauticam Housing.

    this is what i thought of for the beginning. please let me know, if theres is something really important missing, without that I can not take this rig diving?! (sorry for my bad english :P )

     

    NA-EM5 || Housing

    Makro Port 65

    D&D zoom gear for 12-50mm

    Flip adapter M67

    and subsee +10

     

    can't wait to get my new toy then :))

     

    cheers

    Chris

    Edited by ChrisBergermann
  2. If you like shooting macro, I would put the Olympus 60mm Macro lens in your plans at least for some point in the future. This lens is amazing.

     

    Also, if you can afford it, the "Nauticam M16 Vacuum Valve with Pump". When I first read about it, I thought the whole vacuum pump idea was a gimmick, but I have to say it gives me so much peace of mind. It's very easy to use and well worth the investment.

  3. Stobe(s)?

  4. Yep, strobes for sure. Plus a tray, arms, clamps to hold them. There's not much point upgrading your camera but then relying only on ambient light, especially if you want to shoot macro as your plans for a Subsee indicate.

     

    How about a lens too? Just kidding, I guess you plan to use the Olympus 12-50 mm. If you really do want to shoot macro with that Subsee, I found the combination with that Olympus lens to be not worthwhile. Have a look at these comparisons:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56141&hl=%2Btroporobo+%2Bdiopter&do=findComment&comment=363750

     

    I moved to the Olympus 60mm macro lens and have been much happier.

  5. Thanks for all the replies!

    sure i got flextray, strobe arms and 2 ys d1 with me. so this is covered, just the new camera was missing!

     

    from the budget side, I already saved few months, to afford the nauticam housing, instead of the olympus housing, so the vacuum and 60mm makro will have to wait a few more days... :P but sure, in future i will get this and the 8mm fisheye with domeport.

    but for the beginning, i think thats the best set, to get started?! (all from my readings on wetpixel)

    as well i dive a lot in areas, where i want to do fish portraits, maybe some sharks and aswell nudis or small critter in the same dive, sure i have to take some compromisses, still i think thats the "'versatileMachine" I was looking for, with lot of opportunities for the future to upgrade more. (60mm lens-fits the same port then) 8mm or 7-14mm with dome port)

     

    cheers chris

     

    ps: are those brackets for the flextray inside the housing package wherever u buy it? or if its not listed in package details, better ask the dealer for it?


    and a friend of mine using epl-5 and has the 60mm lens, so i should be able to use it sometimes and try it out :)

  6. which flip adapter?

     

    some lock in place. others also lock out-of-place...

  7. This is the instruction page from the EM5 MK 2 housing which shows included brackets post-50926-0-44554700-1447398696_thumb.pngpost-50926-0-44554700-1447398696_thumb.png

  8. Thanks. already got reply buy my shop, that it is included! what do you guys think of this shutter extender? an useful?

     

    the FlipDiopter is from the austrian shop 3D printed I think same as the zoom gear.

     

    cheers

  9. Tha EM1, EM10 and EM5 mk2 can enable an electronic zoom for the 12-50 so you don't need a zoom gear. Also works with the 14-42EZ.

  10. So you mean, i can zoom in and out just like with a Compact Kamera? And stop at for example 36mm? Because i always read that its only 12 OR 50 mm, nothing in between?!

  11. Oh and really important! Need my slavecables for the strobes a specific connection?! OR is it a Standard Connection like in my YS D1 ?

  12. which flip adapter?

     

    some lock in place. others also lock out-of-place...

     

     

    what do you mean, lock in place? lock out of place?

     

    any special flipdiopter advise, if i am taken the 12-50 in makro port65 with subse+10 ??

     

    cheers

  13. So you mean, i can zoom in and out just like with a Compact Kamera? And stop at for example 36mm? Because i always read that its only 12 OR 50 mm, nothing in between?!

    .

    No, you get full zoom. Search the bluewaterphotostore.com the instructions are on there.

    Edited by Griff
  14. what do you guys think of this shutter extender? an useful?

     

    --

     

    what do you mean, lock in place? lock out of place?

     

    cheers

     

    On the first question: I dont have the housing you're trying to get but a Nauticam housing for another cam. I find shutter extender/trigger to be not particulary useful and I don't have it installed. I just think it gets in the way with the right handle - you just have to try it out what you prefer. It's definitely not a must-have item.

     

    On the question "locking out of place: I think what he means is that it is quite important that a diopter flip also has a lock when it is opened (i.e. flipped to the side). Otherwise it will wobble around and get in the way of your "main" lense. The Nauticam flip adapter has a lock when it is open that keeps it in place. Other flip adapters may not have this. Its definitely worth checking out before you buy.

    Edited by bubffm
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.