There is a risk of generalising everything taking one sentence out of context. Taking a housing empty when new is not the same as doing the first dive of a trip with an empty housing with gear you already know. And the purpose of a check dive for a dive master is not the same of a photographer. Ultimately you do what you think is right for you and you need judgement. Having a check list helps but doesn't solve all problems. A trend in floods seems more to be linked to the lack of any check list than manufacturing defects. The clueless comment is for those guys that don't follow any kind of practice either recommended sanctioned or personal and was not directed to Adam but to the example of Moses. Anyway enough said each to their own procedures but before complaining to manufactures is good to know what you can do to avoid issues
- 24Posts
- 24Replies
Read-only discussion
Nauticam NA-RX100IV flooding
-
-
Hm.. Sorry If my little suggestion raise up some discord. It's my point of view on my own experience. There are many ways to prevent flooding. Have a great coming new year of diving folks

-
Just my personal experience. For new housing, take down to 30meters empty. Fully work all the buttons and knobs. Afterwards, leave as long as can w vacuum check on / or in bucket of water and camera in place, test all the buttons/knobs, then dive as normal.
Then last year, my camera with 200 dives passed all my normal checks, but at 20 meters flooded when I hit one of the buttons. A teaspoon of salt water got in, leak sensor went off, I tipped camera down so water would pool in the port. Camera survived, it is listed as "weather proofed", but housing electronics fried. I didn't have the tools/parts/knowledge to do an in field repair, so was out of a camera for the entire trip. But at least I saved my camera, and the housing was easily fixed back home.
I still stick to my old procedures, only if i have new items such as port or bulkhead connector will I do a dive with no camera in the housing. Nothing is 100%, but a rinse tank/vacuum test is enough assurance for me. Unless the check dive is absolutely boring, I think the benefits of an additional test of a housing at depth without a camera do not offset the cost of not having a camera for one dive. This is my personal choice, others may make a different one for their own preference. I will say my camera flooding concerns were initially at World is Ending Paranoia, but hundreds of dives and one flood later, it is down to Another Scuba Related Risk to manage levels.
-
I just loved your "World is Ending Paranoia", watboy.
So true - and then even truer is your Another Scuba Related Risk.... and a story to tell.I'm with you on generally not doing a housing without-camera first dive. The vacuum system does the assurance test for me too. Great gizmo!