Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon Coolpix 995 & 5000 Housing with TTL

Started by underwaterdigital ·

  • 33Posts
  • 33Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon Coolpix 995 & 5000 Housing with TTL

33 posts
  1. I also have to dissagree. I have a housed F100 with access to all the controls and I use them all. The worse the conditions the more likely I am to use them as I need greater control when the conditons are the worst. As for the cold, the dry gloves (diving concepts makes some) will solve your problem. I know several excellent photographers that use them and swear by tehm.

  2. Sorry about the spelling in that last post. My dyslexia is catching up with me.

  3. You saw it here first folk.

     

    Ike's address on this forum, says Pasadena, CA!

     

    I KNEW no-one could make such great dive and camera gear, living in Indiana, for cryin' out loud!

     

    Any humor impaired, among us?

  4. Yeah...hmm...I wonder if he uses Pasadena as a base of operations for when he is spying on the guys at Sea and Sea....yeah! That's it!

     

    I noticed he lives in Houston too. He sure moves around a lot!!! Maybe he rides the rails...cruising the country with a sign that says: "Will work for strobes."

     

    Cheers

    James Wiseman

  5. Sure, sure. Cheng is off to some of that awful Hawaii diving from which Derway just returned. Wiseman dreams of the Flower Gardens. Poor old ike is traveling around looking for a park bench to sleep on with a dry newspaper as cover, hoping someone will buy something............

  6. Uh...Houston's been called a lot of things...but "Garden Spot" is not usually one of them...

     

    So quit complainin'

     

    J

  7. Will trade substrobes for food...

     

    Hey Ike, next time you show up in Pasadena, I'll save a bench for you.

  8. Hi all,

     

    Hope ya don't mind a newbie posting in, but I was hoping I might gleam a little information from you more advanced UW photographers. I've been researching for a few months looking to spend about $1500-$2500 on a decent set up. I was leaning towards video but after checking up the resolutions offered I am now leaning towards digital stills. As of this moment I believe I want to buy a Nikon CP 5000 and an Ikelite 6190 to house it in. I"m unsure which strobe lighting setup would be best and which filters if any I should use. Also from the things I've read, I think I should attach a fisheye 19mm wide angle lens. Any comments, criticism, or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

     

    Jeff in hawaii :)

  9. Hi Jeff,

     

    I think you will be very with the Coolpix5000 as your first digital underwater system.

     

    To address your questions:

     

    The 19mm lens is great - it is NOT a fisheye lens - it is a rectilinear lens. Ikelite makes a port for this lens and the other housing manufacturers have said they will too (I've seen pictures of some of the aluminum housings, but I haven't seen their ports yet).

     

    With respect to strobes, you can choose virtually any strobe for use with this system. If you want to shoot wideangle, make sure that you get a strobe that is designed for that. If you can afford two strobes, then you can use the YS90DX strobes, but they are not wide enough to use as a single strobe w/ the 19mm lens. One YS90DX MIGHT just cover the native 28mm lens on the coolpix 5000. I noticed that my unit has a pretty tight beam.

     

    You also mentioned filters - I don't think you will need one if you are shooting with a strobe. If you are just doing shallow water diving using natural light, the Ikelite housing includes a nice red filter - so you won't have to buy that extra.

     

    HTH

    James Wiseman

  10. Thanks alot james. That helped answer a few questions. I'm still going to do a little more research on UW photography before I make the big purchase but I'm getting a little closer :) BTW I'm originally from Crystal Beach if you've found that little place accross the Galveston Ferry :P I also checked out your photos of flower reef and thought they were great. As soon as I get a setup I'll send ya some pics. Thanks again.

     

    Jeff:cool:

  11. Speaking of working for strobes! I am off to Maui for what I had wanted to be my first UW test drive of the CP5000. But order delay and no housing from Ikelite! Looks like a dry run....

  12. I often respond privately if it is possible to help on delivery or service problems. I can't if people do not list their e-mail address although I understand why with the spam mess.

     

     

    ike

  13. Ike, Having trouble getting signed into this system. nchaney updated profile for email address sailcaribbeansoul@yahoo.com

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.