Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sony RX100 IV vs Panasonic LX100

Started by Peterpan ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony RX100 IV vs Panasonic LX100

22 posts
  1.  

    just returned from Bonaire where i made a little video with my GoPro H4B. I'm totally hooked making videos and fotos underwater and would like to take it to another level. I would like to have more control over aperture/exposure/focus and would love to be able to take better pictures because I come from a SLR background.

     

    What I would like to do: 4K video, Macro and wide.

     

    I have read a lot about the Sony RX100IV and the Panasonic LX100 now. I would choose a Nauticam housing for both of them. I have 2 video lights (Moli 1200SF and 1200R). Would need to bye a flashlight as well.

     

    So far the cons for the Sony are:

     

    -bad autofocus video?

    -low battery

    -overheating problem?

    -no stabilization at 4K video

    -no dials for aperture and exposure like the LX100

     

    Cons Panasonic:

     

    -need to change Ports (or can I take the short port + Nauticam CMC and wetlense? Then I could change everything underwater or perhaps I am wrong?)

    -no 120fps HD

    -no XAVC S

     

    would love to hear what you think.

     

    Cheers

  2. -no dials for aperture and exposure like the LX100

     

    Where do you read that? The LX100 has the aperture and exposure dial, just look at the picture of the LX100.

     

    For the cons of Sony, custom white balance is a nightmare.

     

    Just head over to the video section of the forum and you will find more info and sample.

     

    If you absolutely want to do macro and wide angle in one dive, another option is Panasonic GX8 with the 14-42mm lens. You can put the Nauticam CMC and the WWL-1 wet lens on this combo. However, you will have to increase your budget a bit, and the 14-42mm lens is slow. I use the LX100 because the F1.7 come in handy.

  3. I meant that the Sony RX doesent have the manual dials like the Panasonic LX which i realy like!

     

    I will have a look at the GX8 - thanks.

  4. Both cameras autofocus is pretty bad, the battery does not go far with any of the two and the stabilization in 4K for both is only optical

     

    In terms of still images the Sony is much better the Panasonic has a port system

     

    I have had both cameras and I sold the LX100, the resolution is too low for still images and the camera is just to big to carry around.

     

    I have also since established that the HD 50Mbps of the Sony looks better on my 4K Tv than the 4K of the camera so currently am debating if the whole 4K is a total waste of time

  5. hi. I ve been thinking a long time too on those 2.

     

    About white balance in video mode I'm a bit confused.

    I understand we can t do "instant wb" by pointing At a reference like on the Lumix. ok. but..

     

    , is it possible to take a still and apply this photo a reference for video ??

     

    I used to shoot with a canon 550d and always use this cumbersome technique. not as smooth as instant wb from video camera but delivered great results.

     

    so?? Anybody owning an m4 to try that ?

     

    thanks

  6. hi. I ve been thinking a long time too on those 2.

     

    About white balance in video mode I'm a bit confused.

    I understand we can t do "instant wb" by pointing At a reference like on the Lumix. ok. but..

     

    , is it possible to take a still and apply this photo a reference for video ??

     

    I used to shoot with a canon 550d and always use this cumbersome technique. not as smooth as instant wb from video camera but delivered great results.

     

    so?? Anybody owning an m4 to try that ?

     

    thanks

     

    No this is not raw video so that won't work. If the colours are far off it will end up in a mess. It would be ok for filter and auto white balance

  7.  

    No this is not raw video so that won't work. If the colours are far off it will end up in a mess. It would be ok for filter and auto white balance

  8. I already try red filter plus autowb and I don't like the look.

    before being "knowledgeable" I thought I could be filming auto wb and fix it in post production by adding some red. never gave me the same pristine. look as doing a proper manual balance.

  9. One big difference between the two is that the LX100 doen not have full "zoom through" when using it's dome port or an external lens. It doesn't focus all the way out. The RX100IV does.

     

    But in many other areas, the LX100 is easier to use, especially WB and does a great job with macro and CF/WA. I like it's menus and SW a lot better.

     

    Just zoom with your fins!

    Edited by JackConnick
  10. One big difference between the two is that the LX100 doen not have full "zoom through" when using it's dome port or an external lens. It doesn't focus all the way out. The RX100IV does.

     

    But in many other areas, the LX100 is easier to use, especially WB and does a great job with macro and CF/WA. I like it's menus and SW a lot better.

     

    Just zoom with your fins!

  11. thanks Jack, good to know that the Sony allow to focus on the entire zoom range.

     

    but just to make things clear about the white balance on the Sony, can you set a picture as for manual white balance in video mode ?

    that is what will drive the purchase.

     

    thanks

  12. thanks Jack, good to know that the Sony allow to focus on the entire zoom range.

     

    but just to make things clear about the white balance on the Sony, can you set a picture as for manual white balance in video mode ?

    that is what will drive the purchase.

     

    thanks

    No
  13. Yes but results are crap. I abandoned manual white balance and use a filter in auto

  14. I had a look at your channel. Some the RX good WB like the one with LX7 in Bunaken for instance

     

    Regarding the RX100, the color tone on this one bit too red to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRHoqHT1buc

     

    Did you also use a filter or manual WB like in Bunaken ?

    Any recent footage from M4 with manu WB. Really hard to find quality M4 ambiant light video

     

     

    This purchase is wrecking my mind :crazy: :

    LX 100 : No versality for WA or Macro (unless you go crazy expensive with Nautical Rig)

    RX100 m4 : Shitty white balance

    G7X : Perfect but no 4K

    Edited by max_oo
  15. If your key objective is video get the RX100 the HD mode at 50 mbps is great and frankly i cant tell much of a difference between 4K unless sitting right in front of the screen

  16. If your key objective is video get the RX100 the HD mode at 50 mbps is great and frankly i cant tell much of a difference between 4K unless sitting right in front of the screen

    Yes for video only, but I really like to shoot ambient light WA.

     

    The RX100 M3 Features the 1080p @ 50mbps. You mean that you don't see a huge difference between the M3 1080 @ 50 mpbs and the M4 4k @ 100mbps ?

  17. The Mark IV has video profiles that the III does not have the ability to have more dynamic range is worth the upgrade

     

    I also shoot ambient light WA with the Sony and never had an issue

     

  18. that was THE video I've been hunting for over the internet ! :dancing:

     

    I can see the clean manual wide balance at the beginning. That's good enough to me.

     

    I just can't believe I just went back from diving in the philipines with no Camera ! ("luckily" visibility in Malapascua and Coron was only 5-10 m so no big regrets.

     

    After 3 years of underwater idling the vibe is back.

     

    So next trip to southern Egypt in May with Sony M4 it will be ! Thanks for your precise help.

     

    PS : ( your corners are bit blurry if being pointy,Would it be sharper with new Dyron WA Wetness ? ).

    Edited by max_oo
  19. There is no manual white balance its all auto. The water was milky with less than 5 meters visibility and lots of suspended particles I wouldnt worry about corners too much as it is shot at f/2

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.