Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Dyron +7 diopter or CMC-1 on Olympus 60mm macro lens?

Started by kstokell ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Dyron +7 diopter or CMC-1 on Olympus 60mm macro lens?

8 posts
  1. Hi Guy's

     

    As you may have seen from another post of mine, I'm in the middle of deciding what components I need to make up my ideal micro 4/3's rig. Of course price is also one of the concerns, and as usual with a wish list, the price continues to increase as the process goes on.

     

    So to get to the point, I have more or less decided on what I need to cover my requirements for taking shots underwater, and now I'm trying to see if there is anywhere I can trim back on the price a little. As I already own a Dyron +7 diopter, I am wondering whether or not I need to upgrade to the CMC-1. I realize the CMC-1 has a higher magnification factor (I believed it is a 13.3 diopter equivalent), but will that really make a massive difference when mounted on the front of the Olympus 60mm macro lens. The CMC-1 offers 2:1 magnification on the 60mm lens, I'm not sure what I would get with the +7 diopter but assume it would be somewhere between 1.6 & 1.8:1, does anyone know?

     

    Does anyone have experience with these lenses on the 60mm lens, and if so how do you find their relative performance? I'm particularly interested in the output quality (detail, edge distortion and chromatic aberration), the magnification and the maximum and minimum operating distance?

     

    Additionally I'm questioning the need for a flip adapter, would it not be just as easy to carry the lens in my BCD or on a lens holder and then just screw it the front of the port when needed, this would also mean it would not be in the way when not in use?

     

    If I cross both the CMC-1 and flip diopter from my wish list I can save around $500, which for me is quite a lot of money!

     

    Thanks,

    Kevin

    Edited by kstokell
  2. Hi Kevin,
    i dont have one of these lenses, but a Subsee +10 in an flip holder.
    That works very fine on my Omd 5 with the 60mm lens.

    Had earlier only the screw on version, its a lot more comfortable just to flip it, when needed ;-))

    Regards,
    Wolfgang

    PS: the bigger the magnification, the harder to get the shot right.....

  3. This Costasiella nudibranch is smaller than one grain of rice, probably around 3mm. This shot is with Oly 60mm + CMC, and even then it's cropped to at least 50%. I find the optics to be excellent. The magnification to be very, very good, and the working distance to be ridiculously short. This was my first time really practicing with it and you have to be so close to the subject to get anything - 5cm or less. Starting out, I couldn't get anything to turn out, then I realized you basically have to touch the front of the lens to the subject, back away a tiny bit, and then compose the shot (I did this on sand, not real subjects). Seriously, though, very hard to shoot with, but very pretty. The flip adapter was worth it for me, but it's well made, and seems like it could take lots of screwing and unscrewing. If you leave it attached, don't plan on shooting anything bigger than 10mm.

    post-24977-0-45728800-1455909737_thumb.jpg

  4. I did some comparisons using the Olympus 60 macro lens with Subsee +5 and +10 diopters and then a few others added samples using the CMC. You will see from the table that it is possible to get a magnification ratio (in 35mm terms) of greater than 2:1 with these lenses.

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56141&hl=%2Btroporobo+%2Bdiopter&do=findComment&comment=363750

     

    Here is one of my better shots to date illustrating how close you can get using the +5. This is uncropped

     

    22419144802_50aa9e1e13_z.jpg

     

    I find that I am using the Subsee +5 most often. The +10 has such a short working distance that I only use it for really tiny stuff where I can get right on top of it, as Brian shows above. However I don't think you can interpolate between my results to decide if the Dyron is appropriate. I found when testing other diopters (Saga +15 in particular) that the results were not linear. I have no doubt at all that the CMC optics are superb, but I have not yet had a chance to use one. By the way, I hesitated at first about getting the Nauticam flip holder but after one dive of screwing the Subsee on and off (not quite as quick and easy as you might assume) I got the adapter and have been very happy with it as he convenience cannot be beat.

  5. the-cmc-is-high-quality-and-very-powerful.

    it-takes-some-time-to-get-used-to-it-but-you-can-do-some-very-interesting-supermacro-

    i-also-have-idas+8-not-bad-to-begin-with-probably-comparable-to-dyron-and-subsee+5

    it-depends-on-what-you-can-shoot-

    i-really-like-the-cmc-and-flip-adapter

  6. Unless you go and shoot on flat sandy bottom it will be hard to use the CMC with the 60mm. I find the 60mm already adequate for most shots without wet lenses. Set the manual focus to the minimum and your frame is 18mm wide unless you shoot critters smaller than 1cm there is no need for wet lenses

  7. Hi,

     

    For what it is worth in my opinion, if you decide to get a cmc lens I would say get the flip holder. The threads are very fine on the lenses and would not be easy to put on under water. I use a cmc lens with the 60mm and I am pleased with the results but it does take some getting used to and you need to be close! best used for nudi shots or things that don't move.

  8. Thanks for the feedback guy's, I've decided to stick with my Dyron +7 diopter for now to see how that works out, I can always upgrade later if I think I need to.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.