Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Taking a Poll.. How many of you Check your Rig vs. Carry On?

Started by SCUBA Hank ·

  • 37Posts
  • 37Replies

Read-only discussion

Taking a Poll.. How many of you Check your Rig vs. Carry On?

37 posts
  1. How many of you Check your rig in a hard case vs. carry it on?

     

    Any problems for those of you who Check it?

     

    I am on the fence between a hard case or soft case - Carry On. Or a larger case which I will check and not have to worry so much about weight/fitting everything inside...

     

     

    Let me know what you do and if it's working :)

     

    -Hank

  2. Hi,
    i like to take the minimum i need with me.
    Means camera, lenses, housing & ports,
    one strobe with arm and chargers...
    Second strobe and arm and back up batteries check in.
    But, i use a m3/4 setup....

    With my dslr, i was allways putting housing and ports in the check in luggage....

    Two years ago we met a couple in the philippines, and his luggage was not in the aircraft, came 3 days later...
    His housing was in......

    If you wanna go with a liveaboard, that means no pics....
    So depends on your setup and destination....

    Regards,
    Wolfgang

    Edited by trimix125
  3. Carry on my entire m4/3 system plus mask, dive computer, all batteries and charger. I wrap everything in a couple of days of clothes and put it in a roll-aboard. Always get a laptop in there and sometimes my regs.

  4. Cameras and lenses in a camera bag over my shoulder; housing, macro port, strobes and bits in a roller Pelican as cabin baggage. BIG dome port, ULCS arms with my dive gear in a big roller bag and checked-in.

     

    Clothes? Wearing them.

  5. Carry on: bodies, lenses, teleconverters

     

    Check: housing, ports, strobes, lights, clamps, arms, cables, tools, extension rings, and everything else I can't think of at the moment.

     

     

  6. Carry-on: video camcorder, housing, lights, arms, batteries, etc in a Pelican case. Regulators and dive computer in "personal item".

     

    Checked: BCD, fins, wetsuit, dive skin, booties, dive lights

  7. I put my camera in the housing with the dome port and carry it on by the handle, I then put it under the seat in front of me (don't do emergency aisle seating as many airlines don't let you put stuff under the seat in front of you on emergency aisle) Strobes i put in my laptop bag along with lenses (i have a big laptop bag)

     

    Arms, synch cords, flat port I check in wrapped in my clothes in a hard case)

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  8. Carry-on. All camera and computer kit. Hold is for the CCR and dive kit

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. I carry the housing(minus ports) and strobes in my laptop haversack. The camera's/lenses/video lights etc are in my lowepro hand carry cabin bag with rollers. The large dome, arms, 60mm and 100mm ports are in my checkin dive bag.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Diggy

    Edited by diggy
  10. Beauty of a compact system is I carry EVERYTHING on and still all under 15lbs.

  11. Beauty of a compact system is I carry EVERYTHING on and still all under 15lbs.

     

    Every now and then I wish I had my RX100 still, mainly when packing to travel. Once I get in the water, it's not an issue.

     

    I could get a lot more in my carry-on bag if I only took glass for underwater use, that's for sure.

  12. Carry on all camera gear, MFT, including gopro and nikon tough, chargers, strobe, batteries, laptop, external hard drive, and fish ID book in backpack. Check in for dive gear and the odd piece of clothing.

     

    Bart

  13. OMD M10, NA-EM10 with 12-50mm macro port, CMC-1, WWL-1, two YS-D1s, arms, tray, floats, all the misc stuff, and batteries and chargers. Arms, tray, clamps and floats have to go in checked luggage. Spare lithium batteries for dive/video lights go in the roller ThinkTank along with everything else. It's about 40 lbs as carried on.

  14. Thanks all! Sounds like everyone does a little something different.

     

    My new housing arrives Tuesday and I'll determine how much of a pain it is to remove the arms. If I can get the arms off easily I will buy the Pelican Hard case. If not, I think I'll pony up the money for the Think Tank International travel bag. I like the idea of carrying enough on to assure you can still shoot (marco lens and port) and checking the Big Dome ports etc. Worst case you would still get to take some photos.

     

    I do lots of Liveaboards so that prompted the question out of fear missing my rig the entire trip.

     

    H

  15. Thanks all! Sounds like everyone does a little something different.

     

    My new housing arrives Tuesday and I'll determine how much of a pain it is to remove the arms. If I can get the arms off easily I will buy the Pelican Hard case. If not, I think I'll pony up the money for the Think Tank International travel bag. I like the idea of carrying enough on to assure you can still shoot (marco lens and port) and checking the Big Dome ports etc. Worst case you would still get to take some photos.

     

    I do lots of Liveaboards so that prompted the question out of fear missing my rig the entire trip.

     

    H

    Why would taking the arms off be difficult? What rig are you talking about?

  16. My wife and I always check in dive gear and use Manfrotto Veloce camera bags which are lightweight and can hold a DSLR housing with camera body inside, ports, strobes etc.

    The second pic shows you can hold 2 OMD bodies in there housings, 2 strobes, 2 macro ports and a 4.33 dome, a couple of clamps etc. MTF lenses are small enough to slip into spare slot. This means if your luggage is lost, you can still shoot your subjects on your expensive diving holiday! If carry on is 10kg this is ok or we split them over 2 bags and they come in around 7 - 8 kg within the carry on limit. My wife works for check in on a major airline and they do weigh your carry on especially if it looks heavy or you have no checked luggage. The budget tickets with no checked luggage mean people will load up their carry on to 20kg and then moan when they have to pay excess to check it in. Also buying excess baggage in advance is a lot cheaper than doing it at check in or having to ditch it!

    post-50926-0-39675200-1457836827_thumb.jpeg

    post-50926-0-01342000-1457836848_thumb.jpeg

  17. I carry on a minimum rig to shoot.

     

    The rest my gear,and my second system, I check.

  18. Hi all,

     

    I assume that the different Solutions are based on different regulations in different parts of the world.

    Some Solutions would not work here in Europe, due to limitations on check-in etc etc.

     

    Rig sizes changes your possibilities drastically.

    My wife has a M4/3 System and she packs everything ( except arms and handles) in a reasonably sized Camera Backpack.

    I need to pay much more attention to my Fullframe rig.

     

    My solution:

    Camera and a Lense in the Housing + Flatport, wrapped in Neoprene and carried in the Lanyard

    Domeport and Lenses in a Backpack => Looks reasonably sized, but is heavy.

    The rest is checked-in.

     

    It is very uncomfy at the Airport, but I have never been checked. I have seen a lot of People with rollers being checked.

     

    /Erik

  19. I use a Tamrac shoulder bag for my DSLR, three lenses for underwater (12-24, 60 and 105 micros) , one 85-400 telephoto topside and the Aquatica eyepiece. My iPad got in this bag as well. This weighs in at about 15 pounds. This goes under the seat in front of me.

     

    I use an Akona roll on camera bag (no longer sold) for my Aquatica housing, 8 inch dome port, macro port, two DS-161 strobes, extensions, strobe arms, carry handle, sherpa strap, chargers, vacuum pump, assembly tools, and assorted small items. This is 38 pounds and goes in the overhead. I do admit to checking this on the return flight. The only problem experienced was learning how fragile an Aquatica eyepiece is and how expensive it is to repair, it is now in the carryon with lenses. I have had no problem carrying the roller on with Delta and US Air. With a small plane like a Twin Otter in the islands it has to be checked.

     

    Regulators and masks with corrective lenses go in my wife's carry on.

     

    Lugging this through airports can be trying. The best advice I can offer is buy no luggage without wheels or the ability to mount to the handle of a roller.

  20. Two full systems:

     

    Cameras, lens, computer and batteries in carry on, all else checked.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.