Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Recommend a lens/port for CFWA on m4/3?

Started by troporobo ·

  • 33Posts
  • 33Replies

Read-only discussion

Recommend a lens/port for CFWA on m4/3?

33 posts
  1. This has been covered elsewhere. The 3.5" is smaller and is not a dome some users report vignetting in 4:3 picture format. It does let you get a couple of cm closer it has slightly softer corners as the port is a cut of a larger dome. Some people that do wide angle macro find important those couple of cm more. Personally I don't actually think you can really use the extra close distance if you have a tray as the strobes at 15cm from the port side to side have a shadow even when you touch the 4.33 dome. You need to mount the strobe using the M10 mount with a triclamp if you want to cover really near distance or angle the strobes inwards. The 3.5" port can be interesting if you use other lenses like the 12mm

  2. I must have missed that coverage elsewhere. I'll have to look for it. Tips on where to look wold be most welcome.

     

    Next question, for anwone who has tried: can either of those ports produce good over/under shots I wonder?

  3. The 4.33" is hard the 3.5" harder. I take my split shots with the 7-14mm and 6" dome

    https://flic.kr/p/vk29Nn

  4. I suspected that might be the case. Thanks for the example

  5. i did my best photo ever with the 3.5 dome port.... for CFWA the 2 cm closer focus is a huge difference....you can touch the subject with the glass and it's still in focus... interceptor do you see my mangroves photo at ocean art and UPY 2016? i did this shot with the 3.5, but before i try with the 4.33 and i can't do it.... ;-) yes, with this dome you can do almost only CFWA and the strobe positioning it's simply a nightmare.... but with this port you can obtain "different" photos.... :-) with m4/3, for only CFWA, the 3.5 is unbeatable... for me... ;-)

  6. I agree the 3.5" is a 'specialist' port. Personally with the type of images I shoot I have not yet found something that would not work with the 4.33" but is down to your subjects

  7. Hi boletus,

    according to the port chart there is slightly vignetting in 4:3 ratio with the 3.5" port. Do you notice that?

  8. umh no.. but i have the em5 mk1.... my friend with em1 has a very sligth vignetting on the lcd but almost inexistent on the laptop... ;-)

  9. The vignetting issue is sporadic on olympus and guaranteed on panasonic from what I know. On the other end I rarely shoot 4:3. I only do it when I want the full 180 degrees as in 3:2 the coverage is reduced

  10. Thanks to both of you for the answers :)

    I also have the em1, so nice to know about that issue.

  11. Will the WWL-1 give the full 130 degree coverage with a 14 mm lens on M43?

  12. Nobody is able to measure exactly 130 is good in general but cfwa commands fisheye

    The WWL-1 is heavy and for CFWA the 4.33 dome with fisheye is better for my use

  13. I have used two Zen ports on my Oly PT-03. One for the Oly 8-14mm zoom and one for the Pany 8mm fisheye. Both work well but to get really close for CFWA, the 8mm is better.

     

    The shortest focal length is needed to achieve best composition in CFWA. Having a good subject close in the foreground and the surface of the water with sun orb is a scene I try for.

     

    I did not go the Nauticam route so can't comment on them.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.