Using Macro extension tubes with Olympus 60MM and nauticam housing
Started by neil2412 ·
5Posts
5Replies
Read-only discussion
Using Macro extension tubes with Olympus 60MM and nauticam housing
5 posts
Hi all,
I currently have a EM5 mk ii with a nauticam housing and a 60mm macro lens in a 65mm port . I plan to try out some extension rings such as a 10mm and 16mm (sometimes stacked or sometimes seperate ) . I am considering to purchase the nauticam mini extension ring , but it comes in two sizes, the 20mm and the 30mm. The question I have is : can I buy the 30MM extension nauticam ring and use it with a short 100 extension tube ? that would mean that the end of the lense would be about 20mm from the port glass
any side effects ?
Also for those who would suggest a diopter, I am already using a SMC sometimes stacked with a +10
Al just looking for a way to get more on super macro subjects
thanks
neil
The extension tubes give you extra magnification by allowing you to get closer. But that will further reduce the precious space between the lens and subject. Loosing another 2 cm due to a port that is longer than necessary might be too much. If you can get your hands on the extension tubes you may want to experiment what the minimum focus distance ends up being before buying the tubes and port extender. Finding out the maximum focus distance could be of interest too as you'll be stuck with that for the entire dive.
Bart
Interesting idea. Do you know what your magnification ratio would be with an extension tube? And whether it would be significantly different from what you have now?
With the Olympus 60 macro lens and Subsee +10, I get a magnification ratio of just over 2.5:1 (in 35mm terms) with a minimum focus distance of 20mm from the front of the port. Honestly I would struggle with anything stronger or closer due to the challenges of depth of field and lighting. What are you shooting anyway? It seems that using the SMC with a +10 diopter would probably allow you to see individual atoms ;-)
If you haven't come across my comparison, have a look here: