Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

NEW Panasonic GX85 Announced

Started by insomniac ·

  • 45Posts
  • 45Replies

Read-only discussion

NEW Panasonic GX85 Announced

45 posts
  1. A New Panasonic Camera was officially announced today!

     

    A relatively affordable (mid-range): LUMIX GX85

     

    4K Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera Kit, 12-32mm Lens, 16 Megapixels, Dual Image Stabilization, Electronic Viewfinder, WiFi - Black

     

    Features
    • New 5-axis in-body sensor stabilizer works with LUMIX 2-axis optically stabilized lenses in video and still capture modes using class-leading Dual Image Stabilization.
    • Eliminates the need for low-pass sensor filters while boosting fine detail resolving power by nearly 10% over existing 16-Megapixel MFT sensors.
    • Shoot lighter and faster with the modern hybrid photography performance of a Mirrorless camera and nearly half the bulk of most DSLRs.
    • Thumbwheel controls, integrated viewfinder and touch control enabled tilting LCD maximize control of the photographic experience.
    • Capture spontaneous moments with 4K imaging performance in both 4K video and exclusive 4K PHOTO and Post Focus.

     

    What are your thoughts on this?

     

    Do you think the included lens would work well with the WWL-1?

     

    How soon do you think it will be for housing to be available for this (I have a trip in min-June planned)?

     

    I realised nobody answered your questions.

    The 12-32mm fits in the Nauticam 29 port on the nauticam N85 system. I have this lens it is ok but not amazing at all however the zoom gear is cheap

    For still images the 12mm is a bit too wide for the WWL-1.

    For best still quality and the WWL-1 I would recommend the 14-42mm II Mega OIS with the 35 port

    For video the WWL-1 is a bit too large for my taste with the 1.2x crop I think it is better to use an older Inon UWL-100 without dome also because I don't like barrel distortion in video

     

    Housing wise the camera is very similar to the GX7 so should not be difficult however the 1/160 X sync is a bit low

  2. I think the GX85/80 ships in June so won't have a housing ready by your trip. An alternative is the GX8 which only costs a little more with the 14-42 zoom which is compatible with the WWL and Nauticam have a housing for it. It lacks stabilized 4K but the lens has OIS which works in 4K. Pros are better battery life, 1/250 flash synch and weather sealed magnesium body.

    Another to look at is the G7 with Pany or Oly macro lens in a Ikelite housings. This combo is a lot cheaper than Nauticam GX8 but has only Pany lens OIS, your flash has no fiber optical option and only 1/160 flash synch but this is not a problem for macro work. Ikelite housings are heavier than Nauticam even though they are plastic and you can't add a vacuum valve, which I would recommend on a Nauticam.

    If you already have MTF lenses and want to shoot stills and 4K video then these are your best options or even a second hand (or new) GH4 rig. If you are not invested already you can look at a Sony a6300 or even A7r/s ii rig if you have deeper pockets. Both of these can use the WWL too.

    It boils down to what you are going to shoot and how much money you have to spend.

  3. I'm thinking I might just go with an RX100 IV, it should be relatively easy to sell after my trip and because I am going to Socorro it will be virtually all wide angle so combined with the WWL-1 it should be good enough for what I want to do.

    Edited by insomniac
  4. Have a good trip.

  5. The RX100 doesnt white balance. Get an Inon lens with a push on filter it will work fine on auto with a small correction of the tint. The WWL-1 will result in a lot of green water

  6. Does anyone know if there are any housings planned for the GX85?

  7. I was told they're keen to support it.

  8. Thanks.

  9. I think the GX7 mark II will make a fine entry level 4K video. In terms of still images seems same or less to the GX7. The flash sync speed at 1/160 is really a bit slow

  10. Flash sync is too slow indeed. But apart from that IBIS during 4k, no shutter shock and affordability makes this a very attractive camera to me.

    Ergonomics are very good as well. For example, flash output can be set at a very low level for manual lighting. This is problematic if you're shooting a Sony.

     

    I already got the camera and can't wait to get the Nauticam housing.

     

    Just wondering, should I go with the Panasonic 7-14 or would it be better to keep using my old Inon H100 + 14-42 mega ois?.

    Edited by Diver4fun
  11. Why would you want to use the 7-14mm?

  12. I thought image quality might be better. If not the h100 is preferred, much more versatile.

  13. Ikelite are first with an underwater housing which has fibre optic ports too.

    post-50926-0-72019500-1469236024_thumb.png

  14. Nauticam housing should be out soon

  15. I think the GX7 mark II will make a fine entry level 4K video. In terms of still images seems same or less to the GX7. The flash sync speed at 1/160 is really a bit slow

     

    I just bought a GX80 (EU version of GX85/GX7mkII) for topside and tested: you can sync up to 1/320 with a manual flash (e.g an LED strobe trigger)! 1/250 is perfectly clear, 1/320 looses a roughly 5% band on the top of the image - no concern, if the target you want to light up is below in the "90% portion" of the image.

  16. Sounds awesome, now the question is wether it fits in the housing.

  17. Sounds awesome, now the question is wether it fits in the housing.

     

    In the GX80/85 housings it certainly does, question is if it can be pushed into an old GX7 housing :D

    Edited by tamas970
  18. Does it fit the Nauticam Gx80 housing?

    To be clear, I'm talking about the LED trigger, not the camera ;)

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.