Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon D500 DX camera first impressions underwater.

Started by AlexDawson ·

  • 34Posts
  • 34Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon D500 DX camera first impressions underwater.

34 posts
  1. Hi there,

    I thought i would share my joy to be playing with this nice camera in ergonomic Nauticam housing!

    Since i haven't used other recent Nikon DSLRs underwater i wouldn't be well placed to compare, but i can just say i love how the autofocus reacts in difficult conditions.

    Below is a picture i was happy to capture due to the rarity of the fish (scabbard fish i think). which normally lives hundreds of meters deep where i am, sometimes rises close to surface for hunting at night). This encounter was in difficult conditions (1 meter viz at night, he was swimming around me attracted by my focus light beam).

    D500 autofocus was spot on the eye though it was quite close (no cropping).

     

    cheers

    Nicolas

    post-22194-0-14553400-1466108029_thumb.jpg

  2. Hi all,

    I just bought a D500 and wondering which housing i should purchase for it. I am looking at the Nauticam and Subal. Subal, regarding to the specs is significantly lighter (1kg) but also more expensive and I think it does not have an integrated flash trigger system like the Nauti, right? If someone has one of these housings (or others), I would appreciate if he/she would share some experiences, ergonomics, pros/cons here.

     

    Nicool wrote shortly about the ergonomics of the nauti - is there anything you dont like about it? Is it possible to do back button focus and release the shutter with one hand?

     

    Thanks

    Simon

  3. I have a Nauticam and very pleased with it.

    Ergonomics are great , back butten focus is with your thumb and release is with your finger , no problem

    Frank

  4. Hi,

    thanks for the answers. Hey Frank - dont know if i missunderstand your answer or you missunderstood my question :)

    I meant doing back button focus and releasing, while holding the housing in only one hand (underwater). In a review of Alex Mustard for the NA-D750, he noticed that you cant do it on this housing with one hand. If I couldnt do it with the NA-D500, it would be an issue for me.

    Thanks Tim for the info. So additional costs with the Subal :P

    Edited by simon87
  5. I misunderstood u but tried it today , i could pull of a shot using only my right hand but wouldn't want to do a couple after one another, my hand started shaking because of the awkward grip so if your looking at shooting one-handed that would be a problem.

    Frank

  6. Thanks for your effort Frank. Will keep it in mind.

  7. I misunderstood u but tried it today , i could pull of a shot using only my right hand but wouldn't want to do a couple after one another, my hand started shaking because of the awkward grip so if your looking at shooting one-handed that would be a problem.

    Frank

    And that's why i keep hoping (and asking) for Nauticam to offer hand-straps on their DSLR housings, just like Subal does, or just like Nauticam themselves do on their Mirorless housing, see this item which i had on my mirorless housing:

    http://www.nauticam.com/sproduct.asp?id=12&sid=12&ssid=57

     

    I think it would take your hand pain away, and provide the usual benefits of hand-straps.

     

    I take also this opportunity to ask if anyone knows why their is some sort of buckle/shackle on the steel thing which hold the right handle of the Nauticam housing together with the main housing body, see the picture attached.

    Despite attaching a hand-strap, i can't think of other possible needs?

    post-22194-0-01521500-1468997561_thumb.jpg

  8. I was using D500 on Cayman Island 3 weeks ago and here is some pics. I use fisheye lens 16mm 2.8D. Camera is absolutely amazing and I love it as I usually not shoot with cropped sensor but this cam I like so much. I use with Subal housing ND500 with TTL inbuilt electronic trigger, small 4" dome port and Sea&Sea strobes YS-D1.

     

     

     

     


    More pics

    post-53712-0-72811500-1469089040_thumb.jpg

    post-53712-0-28332200-1469089053_thumb.jpg

    post-53712-0-14069000-1469089286_thumb.jpg

    post-53712-0-34169200-1469089293_thumb.jpg

  9. More pics

    post-53712-0-57780100-1469089403_thumb.jpg

  10. More pics

    post-53712-0-05259500-1469089950_thumb.jpg

    post-53712-0-21150200-1469089963_thumb.jpg

    post-53712-0-58084100-1469089972_thumb.jpg

    post-53712-0-30989100-1469089977_thumb.jpg

    post-53712-0-67642300-1469089982_thumb.jpg

  11. Nice pics Vladimir,

    with 10fps you can do split shots even with a 4" dome :)

    Which Dome did you use? Zen? I guess you had no troubles with shooting one hand (and using back button focus)?

    Edited by simon87
  12. Congrats Vladimir on the pictures!

    Your second wreck picture and the ray are just fantastic!

    Great to see your split with 4 inch dome too :-)

     

    And that's why i keep hoping (and asking) for Nauticam to offer hand-straps on their DSLR housings, just like Subal does, or just like Nauticam themselves do on their Mirorless housing, see this item which i had on my mirorless housing:

    http://www.nauticam.com/sproduct.asp?id=12&sid=12&ssid=57

     

    I think it would take your hand pain away, and provide the usual benefits of hand-straps.

     

    I take also this opportunity to ask if anyone knows why their is some sort of buckle/shackle on the steel thing which hold the right handle of the Nauticam housing together with the main housing body, see the picture attached.

    Despite attaching a hand-strap, i can't think of other possible needs?

    I am happy to say my prayers apparently got heard: you can find on Nauticam dealers what seems to be a new hand strap compatible with some housings, including the D500 one!! It goes by:

    Hand Strap for 28113 Large Handles (for NA-1DXII, D500, D5, 80D)

  13. Congrats Vladimir on the pictures!

    Your second wreck picture and the ray are just fantastic!

    Great to see your split with 4 inch dome too :-)

     

    I am happy to say my prayers apparently got heard: you can find on Nauticam dealers what seems to be a new hand strap compatible with some housings, including the D500 one!! It goes by:

    Hand Strap for 28113 Large Handles (for NA-1DXII, D500, D5, 80D)

     

     

    Hi Nicool,

     

    Thats very good news. Thanks for the info.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.