So my Meikon housing arrived today and I've been slowly but surely planning my modification.
A 5 inch dome looks to be about the right size without being oversized: http://bit.ly/2cAbWTp
I can buy a pre-cut circle of clear acrylic that is 150mm, which will be 3mm wider than the total width of the dome + flange: http://bit.ly/2diShrK
I will join the dome and backing plate as done in the above video to see how that goes.
The main decision for me right now is how to attach the dome to the housing. In my mind I have a two options.
1 - I can drill holes in the back plate that correspond to the holes in the front of the meikon housing and then attach the backplate in the same fashion as I attach the dome to the back plate, i.e. screw them together with a makeshift rubber gasket between the housing and back plate. This will require me to try and find screws that are the same thread size but slightly longer to replace the screws in the meikon (assuming that I can't use the existing screws given the additional width of the back plate).
2 - I can seal the back plate directly to the meikon using some 3M double sided VHB tape which is purportedly waterproof.
Option 2 is obviously easier and therefore has less ways for me to stuff up but is also more permanent. If the optics of my dome don't work or I just get sick of it, It's stuck there and I could possibly ruin a perfectly good housing. Option 1 is flexible in that I can remove the dome and return the meikon to its original condition, but there is way more margin for error.
Once I decide on a way to attach the dome I have another question to deal with. If I keep the meikon housing as is and just attach the back plate as is, then my camera will be looking through three additional 'lenses', the glass port of the meikon, the acrylic back plate and then the acrylic dome. So again, I have a few options:
1 - keep everything as is
2 - keep the meikon glass port in place but drill a hole in the back plate to remove that 'lens'
3 - remove the glass and drill a hole in the back plate so the lens only has to look through the dome
The advantage of 1 is that everything is a discrete system. The meikon housing will remain waterproof as it was originally, which protects the camera, and the dome won't be able to fill with water either. With this option, if the seal between dome and back plate fails the dome gets water in it and if the seal between meikon and back plate fails the area between back plate and housing gets water in it.
Option 2 still keeps the meikon housing as is, so ought to protect the camera, but removes one piece of acrylic. It means that if either of my seals fails the dome gets water in it but I think this is better than option 1 as any water in the system will make photograph quality poor so I may as well have a system where any water ends up in the dome, rather than the space between back plate and housing, as I get the benefit slightly better optical quality by removing one piece of acrylic in front of the lens.
Option 3 gives the best optical quality but if either of my seals fail then the camera is done for.
The question about which of these options to go for also lends support to going for option 1 regarding attaching back plate to housing because if I attach it that way and everything is water tight then I can take it apart again and remove the meikon glass port.
Sorry for the long post, this is partly just me setting out my thinking process. Any tips/advice/thoughts/comments on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Andy