Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Rectilinear wide angle for Nikon DX

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

Rectilinear wide angle for Nikon DX

22 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    So, what are people using on their D500s?

     

    I'm looking at Nikon 10-24mm and Sigma 10-20mm. Anything else I should consider?

     

    I have a 9" dome.

     

    Many thanks

     

    Adam

     

     

  2. No longer the Tokina 10-17mm, Adam?

  3. Hi Tim,

     

    Tokina 10-17mm is (mostly) a fisheye...

     

    Adam

  4. Good point, sorry, I just saw you are looking for rectilinear

  5. Tokina's newer 12-28mm works pretty well on Conan's APS-C cameras like the 7DmkII. For Nikon, would say Nikon's origanl 12-24mm f/4 lens is still a dam good option.

  6. Sigma 8-16. It seemed to me to be "better" than the Nikon 12-24, but that's a subjective view.

  7. Thank you for the responses gentlemen

     

    I have used the Nikon 12-24mm and always found is pretty soft.

     

    I have also used the Sigma 8-16mm and liked it, although I am not a huge fan of full circle! Thank you for reminding me.

     

    The 12-28mm sounds interesting. I am not sure of the focal length? Effectively 18-42mm on full frame. I guess that is close to the 16-35mm!

     

    Has anyone used a Tokina 12-28mm on a Nikon DX camera?

     

    Thanks again

     

    Adam

  8. Like most others here, I have not tested all the options. But I did do back to back tests of the Nikon 10-24mm and 12-24mm and found the 10-24mm to be considerably superior.

     

    I have been shooting the Sigma 10-20mm recently, but through necessity rather than choice (it is the only DX rect. wide angle we own). And with the v. big dome it performs well.

     

    Alex

  9. Adam, the 8-16 Sigma is rectilinear - there's no full circle.

  10. Pete,

     

    Of course, my bad. Age has meant that I confused it with the Canon 8-15mm! I have shot the 8-16mm behind a Zen 230mm dome and found it pretty good.

     

    Adam

  11. I shot the Nikkor 14mm f/2.8 D quite a bit a few years ago but that was on a 12MB DX sensor (D2X). I got OK results even with a Wideport but the Superdome was better of course.

    Tom

  12. Have you thought of the Tokina 11-16mm for a rectangular wide angle? I have one but I never actually use it underwater. I just fide the rectangular wide angles just not wide enough for what I mainly shoot. So far I have only shot the Tokina 10-17mm Fe and the Nikkor 10.5mm on my D500.

     

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm

     

    Cheers Mark

    Edited by Aussiebyron
  13. If you like Adam I can try and shoot the Tokina 11-16mm on my D500 over the next couple of weeks to give you an idea. I never use the Tokina 11-16mm underwater as its not wide enough for me but it makes a great landbased lens.

     

    Regards Mark

  14. I've tried my sigma 8-16 on Nikon D500 but Autofocus doesn't run. The camera and the lens probably are incompatible. It's not a good news for nikon users.

  15. A lot of people just use the Tokina 10-17 + a Kenko 1.4 TC. That gives you effectively a very wide 11.4-23.8 range and can work with small domes plus a 20mm ext. Not that much FE effect, or it can easily be adjusted out in LR. Focuses down to the dome too.

     

    Jack

  16. Thank you for all the contributions.

     

    I am interested to hear that the D500 and Sigma 8-16mm appear incompatible. This is actually pretty rare. Could it be a malfunction with the individual camera or lens?

     

    The 11-16mm is akin testing focal length. Effectively, it is a 16-24mm on a full frame and i shoot quite a lot with the 16-35mm. The key will be whether the corners will work.

     

    I've used the Tokina 10-17mm with a TC for CFWA in the past and it works well for that. It still produces lots of barrel distortion though. I actually quite like the distortion, unless there are obvious straight lines in the scene.

     

    Thanks again for all the input.

     

    Adam

  17. I use the nikon 10-14mm with my d500 for rectilinear ultra wide (weitwinkel) angle. It has the widest angle of view of the available choices and the best optics currently available. Have been very happy with the results both on my old 300s and the new D500.

  18. Hi Adam,

    My sigma 8-16 AF run perfecly on my two D800 and of course on my old D300. I've shot for two weeks with D500 trying all my lenses and recording problems only with sigma 8-16. Meter data and aperture are correctly controlled by D500, except the AF hsm motor which doesn't give any sign of life. I guess the lens needs a firmware update, ehm ... I hope. In the near future I plan to meet the sigma italian dealer and I'll ask him about this.

  19. Sorry, I've forgot to tell that the sigma 8-16 run in AF very well on Nikon D7200 camera.

    IMHO Nikon in the D500 cameras introduced some particular controls in the AF drive which reduce the compatibility with specific production of other manufacturer, it's sadly but no news under the sun (or below the surface :) )

  20. I had the opportuntiy to dive with the Tokina 11-16mm today with my Nikon D500. I havnt used the lens underwater until today as I mainly use fisheyes like the Tokinan 10-17mm or the Nikon 10.5mm and didnt believe it would be wide enough for what I shot underwater. Unfortunately I didnt have the zoom gear for it so I just set it at 11mm behind my 8inch Aquatica dome. Underwater conditions were not the best as the visability had dropped to 6-8m, overcast conditions, lots of particle in the water, which didnt give me the best conditions to provide sample images. Needless to say I was surprised with what I did get and impressed how the Tokina 11-16mm performed even tho only at 11mm .

     

    post-23448-0-84621700-1473305215_thumb.jpg

    unedited straight from the camera only resized and watermarked

     

    Nikon D500 in Aquatica AD500

    Tokina 11-16mm @ 11mm with Aquatica 8 inch dome

    Ikelite Ds161 x2

    f8 1/200th ISO 125

    Edited by Aussiebyron
Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.