Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 5D MK III housing upgrade?

Started by Alexx ·

  • 27Posts
  • 27Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 5D MK III housing upgrade?

27 posts
  1. Hy....

     

    I just saw video from Backscatter and they mentioned upgrade kits for 5D MK III housings to accommodate 5D MK IV. Nauticam has one already as he show it in video... Anyone know something more? I am interested in Aquatica since I own housing for MK III, but it would be nice from them to offer upgrade...

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alexx
  2. That's sooooo awesome!!!! I haven't heard about this yet, I have an aquatica mk III as well, really hoping this exists soon!!!! Thanks for sharing ~KT

  3. That would be "refreshing"! I have the 5D Mark III s/r housing and it is outstanding. I would guess it will be a retrofit done by a dealer, as opposed to just a new tray and a couple of parts to replace, but i may be wrong. The tolerances in housings like the Nauticam are pretty tight, which is why they fit so well. For now, The 5d Mark III is plenty of camera for me, but it would be nice to know I could upgrade in the future. My poor Nauticam 7D housing just couldn't accommodate the 7D Mark II so it rarely gets out.

  4. Here is video to the Backscatter article.

     

    LINK

  5. A little Nauticam info from the UnderwaterPhotoGuide website regarding the 5D Mark iv in the camera review section: "Nauticam will have a 5D MkIV housing available in October, as well as upgrade kits for 5DIII and 5DS housings to make them compatible with the 5D Mk IV."

     

    A google search led to this site http://scubapix.com/underwater-housings/17325-na-5div-housing-for-canon-5d-mark-iv/which references a future housing specific to the 5D Mark IV for $3800 USD and shows a conversion kit for the existing Naticam housings for $600 USD.

     

    Nice to know it may be possible for an earlier housing to be converted if one decides to upgrade bodies now or in the future! You may lose out on a control or two, such as the new focus point selection button, but it certainly isn't a deal breaker!

     

    Hope this pans out!

  6. Nice news for Nauticam users...Come on Aquatica do something about it:)

  7. Hi Everyone,

     

    We've had the Canon 5D MKIV camera since last week and are currently working on a new housing for it.

     

    The good news is that the camera is very close in size to the 5DMKIII, and last week for 3 days in the Channel Islands we did some testing with the MKIV camera in our A5DMKIII SR housing.

     

    Everything worked great, our tester was really impressed with the 5DMKIV camera.

     

    That being said, we will have an upgrade kit available for the Aquatica 5DMKIII housing owners :D

     

    In the next few days we will post some images from our field testing in the Channel Islands

    Edited by Carolina A.
  8. Awesome! Perfect timing as I just ordered a 5dmk4! ;-)....correction...bought a 5dmk4, picking it up in 2 hours! Whee!

     

    S.

    Edited by Stewart L. Sy
  9. Very good news. Thank you Aquatica!!!

  10. Excellent news:) Looking forward to the upgrade!!!

  11. YES!!!! :yahoo:

  12. Hi Everyone,


    Here are some pictures taken by Andrew Sallmon at San Miguel Island, in the Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary off of Santa Barbara, California with the new Canon 5DMk4 camera in a modified A5DMKIII S/R housing!


    The wide angle image is a Ling Cod in the foreground with a diver silhouette and kelp forest in the background and was taken with a Canon 8-15 f4L Fisheye Zoom lens behind an Aquatica 4” Mini Dome Port.


    The two macro images are both taken in the same waters around San Miguel Island, Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary with a Canon 100 f2.8L IS macro lens behind an Aquatica Mini Macro Port with an ACU5 close up lens and flip holder system.


    We can't wait to have the final Upgrade kit and the new A5DMKIV housing available to you! I'll update you on availability as it becomes available :good:

    post-54774-0-44356900-1475065332_thumb.jpg

    post-54774-0-50711600-1475065333_thumb.jpg

    post-54774-0-55574500-1475065334_thumb.jpg

  13. Any news on the production of "Upgrade kit" for A5D MKIII housing users?

     

    Thank you

  14. For those interested in the upgrade kit from Aquatica to upgrade a Mark III housing to accommodate a Mark IV, I have received the following information:

     

    The housing upgrade kit is in its final stage of testing. If testing goes well, it should be available "next week", but certainly soon if next weeks estimated availability slips a bit. Pricing is going to be about $800 US. I don't know yet if the upgrade is something the user can easily do, or if it will be better to allow a service center like Backscatter perform the upgrade. I'll post more as that information becomes available.

     

    Thanks to Rob at Backscatter, and Carolina at Aquatica, for helping me obtain the information gathered so far.

     

    The great news to all of us waiting is that we should have something relatively soon! :-)

    Edited by DeepDiscovery
  15. I am currently using the 5ds r in the Aquatica 5d3 housing, but would LOVE the ability to use the 5d4 IN ADDITION TO the 5ds r. This likely means a 2nd back for the housing, which would be fine by me. Would be great to be able to use both.

     

    The ability to use a 5d4 as a backup or for low light situations would be awesome, and I imagine that the 5ds r 2 down the road will be the same body as the 5d4 so it's likely future proofed in that regard.

     

    Lyle

  16. Well...it seems "relatively soon" is indeed "relative". I followed up with Backscatter about the availability of an upgrade kit and found out that Aquatica still doesn't have the kit available, and there was no estimate on when it would be...UGH!

  17. Any news on the upgrade kit?

  18. Has anyone installed the Aquatica Housing Upgrade (20083-UPKIT)?

    I was wondering how well the upgrade works and how it compares to using the A5DMKIV housing.

    The kit looks fairly easy to install. Price is US$795.

    post-3275-0-08149500-1550070606_thumb.png

  19. I just had the Nauticam version installed by Reef Photo. Cost $600. Looks like the same types of replacement pieces. Works like a charm. Also - with use of the original base plate, my 5D Mark III still works in the housing. YMMV on this, as I have been told some of the Mark III controls may not work after the adjustments.

  20. Hi megtooth

    Thanks for the reply. It looks like the Aquatica upgrade while being available is not very popular. B&H Photo shows a 6-8 week time for receiving one. I'm guessing these are made to order items and not stocked.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.