Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam dealers now list part 17713 for NA-GH5

Started by EspenB ·

  • 54Posts
  • 54Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam dealers now list part 17713 for NA-GH5

54 posts
  1. I shot with the GH5 a couple weeks ago (review http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/panasonic-lumix-gh5-camera-review) - and still image quality was superb. From the instagram pic it looks like there is an M43 flash trigger. Will be great if that's included - but I doubt it (for the video-centric reasons above).

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Excellent review! My concern is the size: the GH5 might be too chunky for me.

     

    Excerpt from the review: "The Panasonic GH5 sits taller and is much thicker than the E-M1 Mark II and A7R II, especially when you take into account the larger eyecup around the electronic viewfinder. It also weighs the most, coming in at 1.6lbs, compared to the E-M1 Mark II’s 1.27lbs and the A7R II’s 1.38lbs. "

     

    The Nauticam housing for the Sony a7rii is huge, imo, for a mirrorless. The GH5 Nauticam housing is probably even bigger. The image quality of micro four thirds can't touch that of the a7rii, imo, so doesn't a bigger camera and housing defeat the main purpose -- i.e smaller and lighter -- of using MFT cameras for underwater photography?

  2. If you do just photography, I would not necessarily go for a GH5, more likely a A7RII. The key strengths of the GH5 are its quite tasty video capabilities - nowhere near matched by any other reasonably compact cam at this moment. Some serious autofocus issues have now been acknowledged by Panasonic and remain to be fixed, but I definitely keep a close eye on it for video :-)

    Edited by bubffm
  3. The GH5 housing looks to be close to the same size as the GH4 housing, but Nauticam did switch to a 2 piece design vs 1pc how past M43 housings have been, which is probably due to camera size. GH5 housing size is likely more compact the A7SII housing due to port size. Here a picture of Chris Dimitrius with the GH5:

    https://instagram.com/p/BS4juCkho0L/

     

    I actually got into M43 due to video quality over camera size, however size was a consideration. 5 years ago when I made the switch from camcorders to M43 I was almost set on the 5DMkII but fell in love with the video of the GH2. I'm happy with my choice and although the GH line is getting a little heftier, it's still pretty compact.

     

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. 17973594_1430288963702153_21197135129519

  5. Finally! Tripod legs mounts feature integrated the housing!

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. Finally! Tripod legs mounts feature integrated the housing!

     

     

    Which tripod legs are those?

  7. Those are the ones from Xit404

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. GH5 housing info now up on the nauticam site.

     

     

     

    Edited by stphnmartin
  9. GH5 housing info now up on the nauticam site.

     

     

     

    I pre-ordered mine on 5 Jan. Picked it up Tuesday from Reef Photo. Diving with it this weekend. Can't wait.

  10. I pre-ordered mine on 5 Jan. Picked it up Tuesday from Reef Photo. Diving with it this weekend. Can't wait.

     

    Cool. I hope you'll post some sample footage. Can you tell me if the display can be seen in it's entirety through the back of the housing? In the photos it looks like the left side my be obstructed.

  11.  

    Cool. I hope you'll post some sample footage. Can you tell me if the display can be seen in it's entirety through the back of the housing? In the photos it looks like the left side my be obstructed.

     

    The display is just a bit toward the left side of the window but clearly visible. I dove with it yesterday and had no issues.

     

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2e1fz08snlf2j0c/IMG_20170505_211650.jpg?dl=0

    Edited by kmhanson
  12. I notice that it doesn't seem to have the joystick control so I wonder if you will still be able to use the pull focus feature,

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.