Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

New lens - what would you choose?

Started by JeremyGelber ·

  • 29Posts
  • 29Replies

Read-only discussion

New lens - what would you choose?

29 posts
  1. I do not know the Ikelite ports.

    But the 28-85 mm f 2.8-4D IF will fit into the Subal flat port V3 that I use with my Nikkor 105 mm VR or my Nikkor 60 mm with an extension.

    If the Ikelite FL port that you have works with a Nikkor 105, it should work with the 28-85 mm f2.8-4D IF lens too.

     

    Elmer

  2. The Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF AF will NOT fit because the lens diameter is too big.

     

    The Nikon 24-­85mm f/3.5-­4.5G IF ED does fit and can zoom.

     

    The Nikon 24-­85mm f/3.5-­4.5G ED VR also fits but is too big to zoom so can only be used at a fixed focal length.

     

    Here's the thing: I cannot for the life of me figure out what the difference between the two 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G lens is. I haven't been able to find them. If I go to the B&H website and search for "Nikon 24-85mm" I get only TWO lens come up: one is the f/2.8-4D priced at $740, the other is the f/3.5-4.5G ED VR priced at $500. There doesn't seem to be a lens called the "IF ED" that I can find yet the Ikelite port chart (http://www.ikelite.com/images/products/housings/general/fl-port-charts.pdf) specifically lists two lenses.

     

    Does anyone have any idea why they list these two lenses when it seems that only one exists? Is it possible there were two in the past and Nikkor stopped producing one, in which case there is now a mismatch in naming convention?

  3. Actually I've just sent an email to Ikelite on the subject - they're bound to know.

  4. Just a quick update, here's the reply from Ikelite:

     

    --------------- START ---------------

     

    Hi Jeremy,

    Thanks for your support of Ikelite products.

    According to my records, Nikon updated the ED lens to add VR in late 2012. Unfortunately the raised switch on the side of the VR version prevents zoom operation with this particular lens. So the lens you reference B&H site can be used without zoom.

    A popular zoom lens for full frame cameras is the Nikon 16-35mm f/4 which can be used with the 8” dome and does allow zoom underwater.

    Regards,

    Jean

    --------------- END ---------------

     

    So that's the definitive answer. The Nikon 24-85mm is NOT compatible with the housing if you want to zoom underwater although it WILL fit at a fixed focal length. This is as a result of the slight re-design Nikon did.

     

    As far as I'm concerned, that might be good enough: I want a medium zoom for portraits, that's where this all began. This particular lens is considerably cheaper than some of the others I have been looking at, and gets superb reviews above water. I would be able to use it underwater at various lengths, and 24mm isn't at all bad if I want a wide angle lens for my dives. Sure, it isn't 18mm but a compromise needs to be made somewhere. It also jives well with the "choose what you want BEFORE you go diving" theory; stick in a particular zoom distance and live with it.

     

    What I may also do is consider bringing my Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro lens on the next trip. Then I've got the whole lot covered: 24mm wide using the dome port from the new 24-85mm lens, 50mm prime with a flat port which I'm already familiar with from my Amilla Fushi trip, and the 105mm macro for real close ups.

     

    I shall start a new thread to ask about dioptres and flat vs dome!

     

    Thanks everyone for you input.

  5. Excellent link! Thank you so much :notworthy:

  6. I agree with pretty much everything Tim posted, including the top 3 lenses underwater - I have the same three and can't think of anything I would rather have. I wasn't too sure about the 16-35, but it's fantastic. D810 & 16-35:

    28732007346_e73086c657_c.jpg

     

    That 105 you have will make really amazing headshots. I shot this one with my D810 and Nikon 105/2.8 micro

    27904381512_dbe379ee90_c.jpg

  7. Went with a Tokina 100mm in the end. Stunning reviews for a good value macro lens.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. Went with a Tokina 100mm in the end. Stunning reviews for a good value macro lens.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

     

    Good luck with it, Jeremy. We look forward to seeing some cracking photos!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.