Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Panasonic GH5 first dive

Started by adamtaylor ·

  • 43Posts
  • 43Replies

Read-only discussion

Panasonic GH5 first dive

43 posts
  1. I tried again last night with the 60mm and cmc-1. Getting a gauge as to the best subject size for this combination of lenses. Tried variations of MF and AFC with tracking. Couldn't get the latter to work at all probably due to the shallow depth of field. I'm using one area focus. I'm sure it's probably a familiarity thing, but when I get the camera underwater it doesn't respond like it does when I'm sitting at home just going through the settings! I tried AFC tracking on a hermit crab and the camera failed miserably. It would lock onto something when I was just trying to get it to auto focus!

     

    Anyway, that was me screaming underwater in case you were wondering. Onward with the learning!

  2. A quick clip of an octo eye using the 60mm and CMC-1. There was lots of particulate in the water as you'll see.

     

  3. Learned something new today. Using a knockoff battery with the 12-50mm lens I've determined I can only get 1.25 dives before the battery dies. So, there is a drawback to cheaper brand-x batteries and I'll changed them out after each dive when using the 12-50mm. I think the electronic zoom helps to drain the battery.

     

    Also giving up on auto ISO.

  4. Also giving up on auto ISO.

     

    Wow, can you explain? This is probably one of the main reasons why I'm looking to getting the GH5.

     

    As at the moment I run the GH4 in S Priority and fix the ISO and let the camera adjust aperture, however a most of the lenses, this causes visible flicking, was hoping going for autoISO on the GH5 would get around this...

  5.  

    Wow, can you explain? This is probably one of the main reasons why I'm looking to getting the GH5.

     

    As at the moment I run the GH4 in S Priority and fix the ISO and let the camera adjust aperture, however a most of the lenses, this causes visible flicking, was hoping going for autoISO on the GH5 would get around this...

     

    I've been getting a lot of graininess in video and I suspect it's the auto ISO. I shoot video in manual with 360 shutter angle. I adjust aperture for depth of field and was hoping auto ISO would adjust appropriately for exposure. The graininess could be related to custom white balancing, so I'm going to do another test to make sure that's not the issue. I've been setting a custom white balance and not resetting it as often as I should as depth and ambient light changes. Will let you know.

  6. Learned something new today. Using a knockoff battery with the 12-50mm lens I've determined I can only get 1.25 dives before the battery dies. So, there is a drawback to cheaper brand-x batteries and I'll changed them out after each dive when using the 12-50mm. I think the electronic zoom helps to drain the battery.

     

    Also giving up on auto ISO.

     

    I guess it depends on the brand. I got some bluemax batteries and they are lasting longer than the orig. Panasonic batteries.

  7. Learned something new today. Using a knockoff battery with the 12-50mm lens I've determined I can only get 1.25 dives before the battery dies. So, there is a drawback to cheaper brand-x batteries and I'll changed them out after each dive when using the 12-50mm. I think the electronic zoom helps to drain the battery.

     

    Also giving up on auto ISO.

     

    Is that using the power zoom on the 12-50?

  8.  

    Is that using the power zoom on the 12-50?

    Yes, power zooming it.

  9. Hi Adam,

     

    Is the Oly 12 - 40 parfocal on your GH5? Olympus tell me that both the 12-40 and the 7-14 are parfocal but there seems to be some doubt about this. Thanks, Tim

  10. Hi Adam,

     

    Is the Oly 12 - 40 parfocal on your GH5? Olympus tell me that both the 12-40 and the 7-14 are parfocal but there seems to be some doubt about this. Thanks, Tim

    I am by no means familiar with good vs bad performance as a parfocal lens.

     

    I do not zoom with my 12-40 lens while shooting so cannot comment on that.

     

    But I have changed aperture to lighten or darken the image due to camera orientation relative to available light. Subjects seemed to remain in focus when kept within the general focal plane.

     

    Keep in mind this was experimenting with with transitioning to an upwards angle near the surface, or in extremely dark environments at high ISO so I was not expecting perfect results.

     

    Maybe someone else can provide a more definitive answer?

     

    Regards

     

     

    Adam

     

    Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

  11. Thanks for the reply Adam. And yes, if any of you lucky people already in possession of a GH5 could comment it would be most appreciated.

  12. I shoot a shutter angle of 360° as I want all the light I can get on the Gh-5's small sensor.

     

    In 60p, shutterspeed is 1/60s, which is in my opinion even better looking than 1/120s. Especially if you convert the footage to 30 fps or lower, which is the reason why lots of people use 60 fps anyway. Only in real slow motion a higher shutterspeed is desirable.

    Autofocus is frustrating at times indeed. I use small AF-areas to adress this. In macro, I focus once with the back button and use focus peaking combined with moving the camera to keep things in focus.

  13. HELLO

    is the nauticam macro port and the zoom gear of Olympus 12 50 for gh5 different from the port and zoom gear of Olympus 12 50 for gh4

    with gh5 cant I use my nauticam port and zoom gear for 12 50 which I was using with gh4

    thanks

    lutfu

  14. Thank you for the information

  15. A quick clip of an octo eye using the 60mm and CMC-1. There was lots of particulate in the water as you'll see.

     

    Amazing how close u could get to the octopus. I’m impressed!
  16. Amazing how close u could get to the octopus. I’m impressed!

     

    It was a cooperative subject!

  17. Hello

    The lady is going to try the world record of 112 meters at 12th of November and i just filmed the practice with a gh5.

    Coming from gh4 i found the gh5 also an amazing camera,especially the is works perfect...

    But i still couldn't get rid of the purplish color when i film wide angle in blue water....With gh4 i had the same issue but in time i kind of managed to get satisfactory blue color , but with this one even im trying to do same setings that i was doing with gh4 ,like combinations of wb, hue, saturation , photo style...it doesnt seem like it is working good....İ hope in time i can manage...İ also noticed the screen shows a lot more purple than the wiewfinder...Do you have the same issues about the color of the blue water

    Thanks and regards

    Lutfu

     

    https://youtu.be/5R9qhgTxap8

    Edited by lutfu
  18. Wow, impressive lady!

     

    Actually I dont think your purple-cast is that bad and you should be able to easily correct this with Final Cut Pro or Davinci Resolve - or whatever you favourite color correction tool is. I don't know what resolution / bit-depth you filmed this with but whatever it is, the GH5 codec behaves quite well during color correction.

  19. thanks for the reply...im a bit lazy out of the water so im trying to find what I can do in the water

    I filmed this slow motion 4k mode 4 2 0 100 mb ..yes actualy this was the best until now I could do about the colors...I have so much purple filmings from last week but now getting a bit better..

    Thanks for the reply again

    regards

    lutfu

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.