I'm with Stoo. I've had a Pelican 1510 since about 1999 and it has never gone wrong. And, touch wood, has never been refused entry into an aircraft cabin - and, yes, its been in lots: Emirates, KLM, Thomson, Thomas Cook, Silk Air, Singapore, Garuda, Malaysia Airlines, Monarch, Lion Air, Air This-that-and- the-Other.
And, again, like Stoo, mine is horribly heavy when loaded. The one time I did use a backpack I was truly regretting it after a couple of days and moves.
As Stoo says, if you are flying and you aren't allowed to bring the roller into the cabin, you can at least check it with a degree (small maybe) of confidence that the case, at least, will survive.
If you go the Pelican route, I'd suggest getting the divider set rather than using foam. The dividers are more expensive but they are seriously adaptable - which the foam isn't. In addition, I have found the lid organiser well worth having for all the little bits and bobs.