I have decided on the OMD E-M5 II and a Nauticam housing for my new camera setup. I need some advice on some lens and port setups if someone could give me some insight. This will be my first Nauticam housing and I have all of the lenses listed except the 14-42EZ – I have the 14-42 IIr right now.
I currently shoot an E-PL1 behind a Zen Underwater WA-100 dome on an Olympus housing with the 3 lenses listed.
Option 1:
· Olympus 60mm Macro / N85 Port 65
· Olympus 9-18mm Wide angle / N85 4 inch Acrylic Wide Angle Dome Port
· Olympus 14-42EZ / N85 Power Zoom Macro Port 29 (option to add WWL-1 later)
Option 2:
· Olympus 60mm Macro / N85 Port 659-18mm
· Olympus 14-42EZ / N85 Power Zoom Macro Port 29
· WWL-1 Wet Wide lens (with all of the adapters and mounts)
Option 3:
· Olympus 60mm Macro / N85 Port 659-18mm
· Olympus 12-40 PRO / Zen Underwater DP-170
Option 4:
· Olympus 60mm Macro / N85 Port 659-18mm
· Olympus 14-42EZ / N85 Power Zoom Macro Port 29
· Panasonic 8mm FE / N85 140mm Optical Glass FE Dome
Option 1 concerns me because some reviews say the 9-18 behind the semi dome is trash, others say it’s good. So, who do I believe without spending big bucks to find out for myself? I would rather sell the lens and go a different route if the photos will not be good.
I really like option 2 and the flexibility it offers but am very nervous about taking a 3 lb lens on and off underwater. One slip and $1000 worth of lens heads to the bottom well beyond even a tech divers reach for retrieval, at least on a lot of our dives. Plus, when it is not attached and on the holder on the arm, that 3 lbs must seriously torque the arm and make the rig unstable as hell.
Option 4 is pricey.
I am trying to keep a mix of versatility and cost effectiveness as much as I can.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.