Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Best Housing for Olympus TG5 ?

Started by Kraken de Mabini ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Best Housing for Olympus TG5 ?

5 posts
  1. I have used the housing for the Olympus TG4, and it has worked well, except it tends to fog. Now I am considering the Olympus TG5 camera, for which two housings are available: Olympus and Ikelite..

     

    Which of the two is a better housing in terms of ease of use, water tight seal and fogging ?

    Thank you for your expert opinion.

  2. Hi,
    have a look for the new uwpmag.com
    Phil Rudin has done a review on the Ikelite housing.

    Regards,
    Wolfgang

  3. Thank you for the prompt and expert advice, I much appreciate it. I just got the Ikelite housing and camera and look forward to enjoying it in the Philippines next month.

  4. As a follow up: Just yesterday I purchased the Ikelite housing for the Olympus TG-5 camera, and find it is poorly designed. The shutter trigger and the zoom control are very stiff and not easy to operate; and as another Wetpixeler, Phil Rudin, mentioned the push buttons are very small, crowded and difficult to use with gloves or by feel. I have returned the Ikelite and will use the Olympus housing.

     

    Other housings for the TG-5 are much too expensive, such as the Nauticam that goes for $800 plus. These past years I have used the Olympus housing for my TG-3 and TG-4 Olympus cameras and it is a good housing, reasonably priced and easy to use. But when open it must be kept very dry, and absorbent gel packs should be placed in it so it does not fog.

    Also, it helps to mount the housing on a tray to hold it steady and and to hold lights or strobes.

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60976- Tips to prevent fogging.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.