Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam Vacuum valve - how much vacuum?

Started by Bevanj ·

  • 44Posts
  • 44Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam Vacuum valve - how much vacuum?

44 posts
  1. The circuit is resetting either because is loosing power or maybe the front reset button going loose somehow after water impact but that would be true if you jump with the camera not if you enter gently

  2. What is happening is it is resetting somehow - likely to be when the board loses power - it is doing exactly what it would do if you turned it off and on again.  It can do this either by the reset button shorting or by losing power momentarily.

    When I say wiggle I mean just move the wires it obviously is happening with only gentle movement - assuming you are not jumping in with it.  You want to move the wires going to the switch and the wires going to the reset button and the battery wires.  There is only any point doing this if it is flashing red - if it changes to blue it means it has reset.  If it is flashing blue to start with you can't see it change state.  Also check the rod that is moved by the blue reset button retracts fully - touch the blue reset button softly while it is flashing red to see if the housing goes to blue.   To do this release the vacuum and remove front port and touch the blue button gently yu are testing is it resets too easily.

    I think it is safe to say that it will NOT alarm in the event of vacuum loss.   These types of circuits are usually in various modes. depending on input.  Flashing blue is waiting for the pressure to drop.  Once pressure drops it goes into monitoring mode,  going yellow then green.   I expect it will only go into vacuum alarm if it if in green monitoring mode.  You can test this out - if it has gone to green and then goes to flashing blue - does it go to red when you release the vacuum.  If it doesn't you won't get an alarm. 

    The water alarm appears to independent it will go off if activated when flashing blue - I tested mine and it goes off when in blue flashing

    I think there is little harm or risk in moving the wires if you find a loose one you might be able to fix it.  If you don't you might have to put it in for repair. 

    Edited by ChrisRoss
  3. 17 hours ago, aviator8 said:

    Can you reproduce it in a bathtub or pool?  Maybe you could take a video of what happens and get Input from Nauticam.

    Unfortunately not, because I cannot predict when it’s gong to happen. Generally I find it’s about once every 40 dives

    Edited by Ministryofgiraffes
  4. 2 hours ago, Ministryofgiraffes said:

    Unfortunately not, because I cannot predict when it’s gong to happen. Generally I find it’s about once every 40 dives

    If you can't predict it that makes it difficult but I expect you will still be able to do some of the tests I suggested.  Also next time it happens make a note of what it does when you release the vacuum if it goes to flashing red you alarm is working if not it doesn't work.  Mostly I expect you'll be fine but I would take extra care to let the housing sit for 20-30 minutes after pulling a vacuum and before diving as it may not alert you if there is a very slow leak which coincides with going to blue.

    Also I suggest making the checks I suggested with the housing in flashing red state after release of vacuum.

    Edited by ChrisRoss
WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.