New good option for Full Frame underwater video...
- 51Posts
- 51Replies
Read-only discussion
A7III is here !!!
-
-
It’s incredible. $2000 for a full frame camera. From some videos the ISO performance is great too.
Just need to see rolling shutter and IBIS performance. But looks to be a steal. Only downer is the 1.2x crop in 30p which is weird.
Seems the A9, A7riii and A7iii will fit the same housing too!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Is it crop aswell at 25p ??
-
Is it crop aswell at 25p ??
Only crops in 30p. 24/25p are full sensor read outs.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Good I shoot at 25p [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]Only crops in 30p. 24/25p are full sensor read outs.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Is the A7III going to suffer from the same white balance issues that seem to plague other Sony cameras? Seems like this was a deal breaker on previous generations.
-
I don't have WB problem w my A7RII.... so I think A7III will do it fine.
-
I think the A7 III and the A7R III should have the same housing as the other housing for A9.
-
And maybe with an upgrade kit we can use the A7II housing...
-
Unfortunately, the house of the A7II is certain that it will not be good for the A7III due to the different sizes and the missing joystick

-
Lets wait Seacam...
-

-
Lets wait Seacam...
-
The size of A7 III is exactly the same as A7 RIII. But it does not match the A7 II.
-
Lets wait Seacam... dont mind a new housing.
-
Unfortunately, Sony is still holding on 10 bit even HDMI out doesn’t have it? I don’t know if it is product positioning that holds them off or technical challenges such as heating.
I’m not sure if it does 60fps at 4K internally.
-
Well as I would like 4K 60p, Im not sure if I need 10bit 4:2:2 in the real world...
-
Low light test...
-
Not the most unbiased tests in the world

-
Good I shoot at 25p [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]
I prefer to shoot in 30p (well 29.97) and confirm it to a (24p) 23.98 timeline, you get a free 20% slow down, which provides smoother footage, yet to most viewers still looks normal speed
So the crop would annoy me a littleNot the most unbiased tests in the world

Yeah he wasn't exactly raving about the GH5 before either, with its AF and ISO performance, and for sure does prefer his Sony's. Would be interested to see the GH5s compared too, but lets me fair I think the Sony's are still gonna win.
We have come so far in 5yrs in terms of performance for all video cameras and for general sharing on youtube / vimeo / facebook we are getting into diminishing returns. But credit to Sony for their A7 E-Mount cameras. Small, full-frame, great AF, colours etc and now only $2000 (I used to dream about owning a FF Digital Camera!!) - there is a lot to like and not a lot not too, and I'm tempted to get a A7iii for normal still photography.
If they can provide this camera, with these features for $2000, the A7Siii is going to be very impressive I feel, its got to have 4K@60p. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they went all the way to 4k@120p. Alas I doubt they will include 10bit or 4:2:2 internally, nor increase the bitrates, as then who will buy their FS5 and FS7's....
As much as I like watching Dave Dugdale's videos, he sometimes has no idea what he was doing, with the 10bit vs. 8bit or 420 vs 422, I think he missed it. Get an over exposed cloudy sky and try and pull it back - it will fall apart, try and film moving water, or anything with lots of movement it will block up comparatively - There is a reason why Sony use XAVC-I on the F55 / FS7, XAVC-L on the FS5 and yet only give their consumer cameras XAVC-S. Its still a great codec, but there is a lot to be said about having 10bit's worth of data.
However, against all the positives for the A7iii and its siblings, I actually prefer a smaller sensor for filming. As the real benefit for me from m43 is the opposite to what most people hate about it - the Depth of Field or lack of Bokeh. Having a lens that provides a f3.5 aperture, YET provides the same Dof as FF at f/7 is a real benefit for filming, many have to run high apertures to get enough depth of field and have to compensate with ISO increases. But who doesn't love the Bokeh of a FF 50mm f1.4
