Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

D70 High Speed Flash Sync Tests

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 28Posts
  • 28Replies

Read-only discussion

D70 High Speed Flash Sync Tests

28 posts
  1. Hey Jim, I had another weak moment....you can check mine out Friday night :D Ryan is bringing the new port :D:D

     

    Karl

  2. Rand, I am quite surprised by your disappointment with the 10.5mm. I like the 10.5 because it does make the sunball so small in the frame. Surely that is what we want - not a big white blob covering half the frame?

    The reason I do not have sunrays extending over more of the frame (like your great and well known shot from Florida) is that I was in shallow water (a pool) and there was not enough depth of water to see longer sun rays!

    Hope this helps reassure you that you have invested in the right lens. I'm sure once you start using it, you will soon be wondering how you ever coped without it.

    Alex

  3. Thanks Alex. Good advice. Two weeks to Little Cayman and if all goes right, I'll have some "Hands On" experience to judge from. Your test is timely though as it gives me some ideas and also vicarious experience.

     

    Rand

  4. Hey Jim, I had another weak moment....you can check mine out Friday night  :D  Ryan is bringing the new port  :D  :D  

     

    Karl

    HAHAH! I know the feeling. I have a 12-24 DX on a UPS truck to my house that should be arriving by Wednesday. Not to mention I somehow ended up with an SB800 and a 70-200 VR for Top Side use somehow.

     

    But I have to keep them hidden unless I want to be single again.

     

    I should call Ryan and have him bring me a port for the 12-24, but then I'd have to take delivery of it in front of my wife. :D

     

    You had to buy a new port for the 10.5? I thought the same port for the 12-24 worked with the 10.5??? :?

  5. Well, I was going to ask you to bring the 70-200VR, but sounds like there could be a blood letting if you did that :D I have been wanting the 80-400VR, but the 70-200 gets a lot of good press and I'd like to see how it works....I've got the 24-120VR for topside use and I think I'd like to get the extra distance from the 400 end....

     

    Ryan could bring the port and I'll get it to you the next week :D

     

    Unfortunately, the 10.5 requires another port....that's three plus 2 flat ports....this is getting out of control

     

    Looking forward to Ryan's visit and our get together on Friday

     

    Karl

  6. I can bring the 70-200VR. My wife believes I bought it from a guy at work for $100. :D Just try and keep a straight face when you see it.

     

    The 60mm, 18-70, and 12-24 all look like the same lens to her! :D

     

    I looked at the 80-400 at the camera shop, if you have the chance to play with both, I highly suggest you do. The focus on the 80-400 is a lot slower and it hunts a bit. (Similar to the 105, in my opinion) The focus on the 70-200 is just as fast as any other AF-s lens (Similar to the 18-70).

     

    I'm going to get a Teleconverter to get out to 400mm with the 70-200. I think that would make a more well rounded bag for me. Plus shooting at F2.8 @ 200mm makes it easy to snatch some normally tough exposures! And you can still hit F5.6 @ 400 with a 2x Tele.

     

    Next Friday will be good times for sure! :D

  7. My lips are sealed :D:D

     

    Good points on the 70-200 vs. 80-400....this will be the last lens that I buy, so I want to make the right decision.....BTW, my name is Karl Dietz and I have a camera equipment aquisition problem.....I'm ready for a lens intervention from my friends

  8. My wife believes I bought it from a guy at work for $100.

     

    I know a guy who buys all his cameras with cash!!java script:emoticon(':wink:')

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.