Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Lens Recommendation for D850?

Started by maxnichols24 ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Lens Recommendation for D850?

7 posts
  1. Hello everyone!

     

    Getting started in underwater photography—I own the D850, and I have my eye set on the Nauticam housing and two Sea & Sea strobes. What wide-angle lens should I get? I want good glass - the D850 doesn't do too well with bad glass. Seems the overall consensus is that despite its topside performance, the Nikkor 14-24 isn't great underwater.

     

    Any suggestions would be really helpful! Also, suggestions for what lens dome to get with that lens for the Nauticam housing.

     

    Thanks,

    Max

    Edited by maxnichols24
  2. Hey Max

     

    No, the consensus seems to be the Nikkor 14-24 isn't great underwater.

     

    If you're looking for rectilinear, I've found the Nikkor 16-35 works well with the D800 - as long as you have a 230 dome otherwise the corners are soft and, for my setup (Subal), a +2 diopter.

     

    Are you considering an FE? If so, maybe the Sigma 15mm or Nikkor 8-15mm? According to the manufacturer's charts I have seen, both work with either a 230 or 170 dome.

  3. Sigma 15FE

     

    27683455818_a1255df782_c.jpg

    Edited by JackConnick
  4. If you are going wide then the big 230mm dome is necessary to get corner performance. The alternative is to look into the Nauitcam WACP with an older 28-xxx lens. The story is that the dome port, even a large one degrades image quality and a lens like an 28-80 consumer style lens can potentially out resolve the finest glass when it's behind a dome port if you use it with a specifically designed water contact optic like the WACP. If you believe that then it would seem that pixel peeping among the better wide angle offerings based on above water tests may not be productive. If you interested in fisheye lenses then the smaller domes work quite well.

     

    Also are you set on Sea and Sea strobes? given the number of stories about S&S strobes failing I've seen here and elsewhere, I would look in the direction of INON strobes.

    Edited by ChrisRoss
  5. I plan to use: Nikon, 105, 60/2.8D, 20/2.8D (maybe), 16-35/4, and Sigma 15FE with the macro port, zen 170, and a big dome (tbd)...unless i decide to try the WACP - the size primarily, and somewhat the cost, are the blockers for me on the WACP, though.

  6. Since I acquired the 16-35, my 18, 20, and 24mm lenses have been sitting on a shelf. I shoot it behind a 230mm dome. Unless you already own the 20, you might save a few rubles by forgoing purchasing one just yet.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.