36 minutes ago, diggy said:
Tim do you think a 13" Mac book Air does the trick ? My daughter just got herself a new Mac Book pro! and her air is just lying around :-( Currently am using a 6-7 year old Mac Book pro which is still an efficient workhorse.
Diggy
Really hard to say, Diggy. Can you compare the specs?
My experience is that LR will run fine on 8GB RAM - (I've got more than 45,000 images in my catalogue and they're almost all FX sized RAW files). Storage: you need about either 250GB of disk space- for the software and to allow image storage (or, a bit slower, an external hard disk for storage) during, say, a 2-week dive trip. I have honestly no clue on chip speeds. I never buy the fastest ones and have never noticed any of the four iMac/MacBookPros (MBPs) I've ever had choking on LR/PS.
If your workhorse is still jumping the necessary hurdles, then you're in business anyway. Seems to me that MBPs are almost like diesel engine cars: they just keep going and going! Depending on the year model, you could if necessary always add more RAM (there are a couple of model years where you can't) or a bigger SSD/hard drive. It's easy to do.
Why not though install LR on the Air, go out for a weekend of topside shooting, import the files onto the Air, edit a bit and see what happens. If it works well you can make your daughter an offer she can't possibly refuse and bingo you have a very nice (newish) machine. But if it's not a Happy Mac, you've got the Workhorse. What's there not to like, eh?
I'm not sure if you can add RAM to an Air or not. It could be that the RAM is soldered in (unlike most MBPs). A quick look on the Apple Support website will tell you - as, I think, if you go into the About This Mac icon/tab in the OS - it'll show how much RAM you have and if there is the potential to increase it. I don't think you can upgrade the disk on an Air - but am not sure.
Lots of options!
